The African Population and Health Research Center (APHRC) is a leading Africa-based, African-led, international research institution headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya.
APHRC conducts policy-relevant research on population, health, education, urbanization and related development issues in sub-Saharan Africa.
The APHRC seeks to recruit a Post-Doctoral Research Scientist to work in the Urbanization and Wellbeing in Africa Unit within the Research Division.
- Work with the team to ensure successful implementation of the assigned projects;
- Oversee/lead development of field and training manuals;
- Oversee the review and translation of research tools;
- Oversee fieldwork of the proposed research projects to ensure timely implementation of field activities;
- Support proposal writing and other fund raising activities within the unit;
- Ensure ethical approvals and research permits are obtained;
- Oversee data cleaning and analyses;
- Lead and contribute to scientific paper writing;
- Lead the development of project reports;
- Participate in dissemination of research findings and policy dialogue with appropriate audiences;
- Monitor project budgets and expenditure;
- Prepare project progress reports;
- Lead and contribute to proposal development and fundraising for research projects in the program;
- Mentor junior researchers and facilitate in the Center’s training programs as needed; and
- Represent the Center at high level national, regional and international forums, including relevant technical working groups and expert committees.
Qualifications and Experience
- PhD in Public/Environmental Health, Community Health, or any related field with a specialization/focus on Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) in Africa.
- At least one year’s post-doctoral experience conducting research on WASH in Africa.
- Demonstrated experience in managing research projects.
- Skills in quantitative and qualitative methods including experience in data analysis with familiarity in data analysis software.
- Strong writing skills and evidence of peer reviewed publications in the subject matter/area of focus.
- Ability to work independently.
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills and ability to work independently in a team.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their application in English and include:
- A letter of application
- A detailed CV
- Statement of research interest and goals (1-2 pages)
via our recruitment portal https://aphrc.org/vacancies/.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted; shortlisted candidates will be required to have a Police Clearance Certificate.
Cover letters should be addressed to:
The Human Resources Officer
African Population and Health Research Center, Inc
APHRC Campus, Manga Close, off Kirawa Road, Kitisuru
P. O. Box 10787-GPO, Nairobi
APHRC is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to the protection of vulnerable persons