The African Population and Health Research Center (APHRC) is a leading Africa-based, African-led, international research institution headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya. APHRC conducts policy-relevant research on population, health, education, urbanization and related development issues in sub-Saharan Africa.
The APHRC seeks to recruit a Post-Doctoral Research Scientist to work in the Maternal and Child Wellbeing Unit within the Research Division.
· Lead and contribute to the research under the Food System Transformative Integrated Policy (FS-TIP) project and other related projects tasks including: project design, protocol development and activities related to project management such as field work and data management;
· Conduct desk reviews of published and grey literature;
· Lead and contribute to proposal development;
· Lead and contribute/ participate in the design of scientific research and training tasks;
· Contribute to scientific writing and production of donor reports;
· Supervise and mentor junior research staff at the Center;
· Lead in policy engagement and dissemination of research findings to appropriate audiences. This will include creation of policy briefs on key food system integrated policy opportunities; and
· Contribute to the Nairobi Food Systems Vision/Zero Hunger project and any other activity/ responsibility assigned by the MCW Unit Leader.
Qualifications and Experience
- PhD in Nutrition, Public Health; or closely related fields.
- Expertise/experience in nutrition and food systems research will be an added advantage.
- Strong writing skills and good record of publications on relevant areas in sub-Saharan Africa
- Experience in developing proposals. Evidence of previous successful grants will be an added advantage.
- Demonstrated experience in managing research projects, including experience in conducting, coordinating and managing surveys.
- Proven experience in conducting desk reviews.
- Strong quantitative skills (managing, analyzing and interpreting data), with good familiarity with quantitative statistical packages (e.g. STATA, SAS or SPSS). Expertise in qualitative methods, including familiarity with qualitative analysis software packages (e.g. NVivo) will be an added advantage.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite (e.g. MS Word, MS PowerPoint and MS Excel).
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills and ability to work in a culturally diverse team.
How to Apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their application and include:
I. A letter of application;
II. A statement of research interests and goals (1-2 pages); and
through our recruitment portal https://aphrc.org/vacancies/ by May 10, 2021.**
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted; shortlisted candidates will be required to have a Police Clearance Certificate. Cover letters should be addressed to:
The Human Resources Officer
African Population and Health Research Center, Inc
APHRC Campus, Manga Close, off Kirawa Road, Kitisuru
P. O. Box 10787-GPO, Nairobi
APHRC is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to the protection of vulnerable persons**