Anchored in its unique and effective leadership development curriculum and our global network, the AL Group has been successfully producing and placing globally competitive African talent at a speed, scale and quality never before seen. Using an experiential, technology-enabled, peer-to-peer learning model, we’re equipping and harnessing the potential of the young African workforce to meaningfully engage with — and contribute to — African economies as leaders and innovators.
ALX and The Room are two institutions working together to reimagine how top talent learns, grows and connects with each other and with opportunities throughout their lifetime. We are an initiative born in Africa but with a global ambition.
We are part of the African Leadership Group, an ecosystem of 4 institutions with +15 years of experience and a proven track record of developing Africa’s future generation of leaders. We were listed as one of the 50 most innovative companies (alongside Alibaba & Amazon) in 2019 by Fast Company.
ABOUT THE ROLE
You’re taking ownership over a recently built and launched automated application gauntlet that selects and catalyzes young leaders through show of grit.
This is a highly autonomous role. Ownership means you direct the team to build, maintain, document, document, and enhance the Selection journey for software engineering.
And don’t forget creating value for all SE applicants whether they make it through the door or not.
Responsibilities that you will take up include:
- Build it: Create, maintain and improve systems and processes to enable a delightful experience for all at scale.
- Drive it: Strategize and coordinate efforts to improve application experience and conversion.
- Define it: Define and communicate selection policy for the application experience.
- Build to last: Drive and coordinate documentation of systems, processes, playbooks, and strategy.
- Collaborate and communicate: Collaborate with internal and external stakeholders on application experience, strategy and execution.
- Own performance: Identify and track metrics for measuring applicant progress and selection efficacy
- Aligned autonomy: Actively align all SE selection efforts to the ALX selection approach.
- Sharing stories: Actively share stories from within selection with the organization to instill clarity and confidence.
- At least 4+ years work experience.
- A track record of building, maintaining, and iterating products, projects or multi-stage experiences in a high-growth/scale environment.
- Experience with CRM (Infusionsoft) and applicant tracking systems considered a plus
- Proven experience owning a full product or experience top to bottom.
- Systems-oriented, you like creating processes to empower consistency and efficiency.
- Proven ability to work with and influence internal and external stakeholders at all levels.
- A passion for and are well-versed in human-centered design thinking (particularly customer journey design).
- Can process information and learn quickly.
- Have a thoroughness in accomplishing tasks through concern for all the areas involved, no matter how small.
- Superior communication and interpersonal skills: verbal, written, and visual.
- Enjoy working with people and see collaboration as critical to your success.
- Passionate about disrupting talent selection through technology.
- An innovative and proactive problem-solver led by metrics-driven and design thinking
YOU WILL LOVE THIS JOB IF YOU:
- Initiative & Courage: You have an owners’ approach and you are proactive with what needs to be done; you also embrace risks and failure
- Humility & Adaptability: You have a beginners’ mindset and you always seek to learn; you are also flexible and embrace pivoting
- Possibility & Adventure: You are passionate about life, you have a growth mindset and you can thrive on uncertain circumstances and uncharted territory
- Resilience: You tackle difficult situations with a can-do attitude and are relentless in the pursuit of your goals
- Emergent Leadership: You are aware, and can manage, your emotions and those of others very well, you also have an empathetic, collaborative approach to leadership and you love working with others
- Thrive in ambiguity: You can make decisions, and motivate others during times of uncertainty, incomplete information, and change.