Founded in 1979, Action Against Hunger International (ACF) is an international humanitarian recognized in the fight against hunger. ACF mission is to save lives through the prevention, detection, and treatment of malnutrition, especially during and after emergency situations and conflicts. Helen Keller International (HKI) was founded in 1915 and is dedicated to saving the sight and lives of the most vulnerable and disadvantaged. HKI aims to combat the root causes and consequences of blindness and malnutrition by establishing programs based on evidence and research in vision, health and nutrition.
Summary of Position
The Communications Intern will support visibility efforts in the Action Against Hunger office in Kenya through development and implementation of communication strategies specifically documentation of human-interest stories and success stories as well as media engagement. The Communications Intern will work under the direct supervision of the Health & Nutrition Coordinator and Regional Content Officer in supporting communications & visibility activities. The intern will be based in Nairobi with up to 60% field travel. This internship opportunity is for a six months term subject to renewal & availability of funds.
The Communications Intern role has the following purpose, engagement and delivery:
The Communications intern will support country office in visibility through implementation of communication plans specifically documentation of human interest & success stories, photography, social media & media engagement, package and design publications for sharing.
The Communications Intern will work collaboratively with program team and support teams internally & position Action Against Hunger in Kenya to key audiences.
The Communications Intern will collect & package information for use in different platforms, increase visibility and build the profile of the country office.
Essential job functions
- To capture and document success stories, human-interest stories and narratives that demonstrate impact
- Work with external service providers including videographers and photographers in collecting and compiling content for communication products such as newsletters, fact sheets, brochures, social media, documentaries, video testimonials and photobooks.
- Leading the process of editing, producing and finalizing quality written narratives, photos and videos for dissemination to Action Against Hunger audiences.
- Ensure compliance to branding guidelines are accurately applied for all communication outputs.
- Generate ideas, propose content production, select images, and write captions and messages for the Action Against Hunger Kenya social media channels.
- Post, monitor and respond to social media activity relevant to Action Against Hunger Kenya
- Research, engage, and build connections with key national stakeholders and influencers to improve Action Against Hunger Kenya’s visibility on social media.
- Coordinate with national & county media contacts for publicity & visibility in various media channels that include TV, radio, print & social
- Organize media engagement activities including media field visits and interviews with beneficiaries & stakeholders.
- Work with the technical teams to develop support materials for press engagements, donor visits and other visits to project sites. This may include but is not limited to briefers, one pagers, factsheets and press notes.
- Build a localized digital asset management database for storage of photographs, videos, captions and narratives for further use and dissemination.
Communications Intern will not supervise any staff
Communications Intern is not a direct budget holder
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to sit for long periods and to concentrate on work, including typing, and turn out heavy volumes of work accurately, within short time frames under stressful situations in the context of a moderately noisy office with many interruptions. Must be able to proofread own work accurately so that only minor corrections are needed on an infrequent basis.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Working Conditions, Travel and Environment
The duties of the job require regular job attendance at least five days per week. Must be available to work outside normal office hours or on the weekends as required.
Must be able to travel as required for standard domestic and international business travel as well as to the country offices if appropriate. While visiting the field, the employee may be exposed to precarious settings under high security risks and/or very basic living conditions and outside weather conditions, as well is to infectious diseases.
Gender Equality Commitments & Zero Tolerance to Abuse
- Foster an environment that reinforces values of women and men, and equal access to information.
- Provide a work environment where women and men must be evaluated and promoted based on their skills and performance.
- Promote a safe, secure, and respectful environment for all stakeholders, particularly for children, beneficiaries, and members of staff.
- Help to prevent any type of abuse including workplace harassment and sexual abuse and exploitation.
- Respect beneficiaries’ women, men, children (boys and girls) regardless of gender, sex orientation, disability, religion, race, color, ancestry, national origin, age, or marital status.
- Value and respect all cultures.
Required Qualifications and Professional Experience
- Higher Diploma or Bachelor’s degree in Communications with specific focus on campaigns or marketing
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience in digital content, campaigns, marketing or advertising.
- Experience in design & graphics.
Required Skills & Competencies
- Computer skills with excellence in Microsoft Excel and Word or any other design software packages.
- In-depth knowledge of various social media platforms, best practices, and website analytics.
- Good level of spoken and written English and Kiswahili
- Ability to work under minimal supervision and deliver results within deadlines
- Excellent organization, coordination, report writing and team management skills
- Strong and effective communication and presentation skills
- Team player and keen to details
- coach a team – a team player