Deloitte Consulting is a leading provider of innovative development solutions to U.S. and international donors, foundations, governments, and Fortune 500 companies. With member firm presence in more than 150 countries, we bring the power of a global firm and leverage our immense technical expertise and firm capabilities to bring integrated approaches to US Agency for International Development.
About YALI Regional Leadership Centre East Africa
The YALI Regional Leadership Center (RLC) East Africa (also known as the Center), located at Kenyatta University in Nairobi serves 14 countries in East and Central Africa. The Center is overseen by Deloitte East Africa and is supported by a growing number of public and private partners. It is a public-private partnership, capitalizing on the energy and dynamism of the private sector, the knowledge of African and American institutions, and the programmatic and educational resources of the U.S. Government. The Center will focus on engaging young East and Central African leaders from a wide range of organizations and backgrounds and with a diversity of experiences.
Main Purpose of the Job
We are seeking to recruit a mature and result-oriented Communications Officer for YALI Regional Leadership Center – East Africa. The holder of this position will report to the Chief of Party and will oversee and implement the Centre’s Communications Strategy.
- Lead the documentation and ensure consistent compliance with USAID requirements on weekly and other periodic communication updates from the Program;
- Work with various teams to create a vibrant database of YALI impact stories and hence contribute to easy retrieval and access to outstanding alumni initiatives;
- Provide capacity strengthening support to staff, alumni and Kenyatta University in key aspects of communication;
- Participate in the partnerships and communications working group activities and support the evolution of a strong communication function within YALI Africa;
- Work closely with the YALI Team leads to develop the impact/success stories that capture the project’s achievements across the various functions;
- Attend donor/philanthropy events and participate in youth development forums to access networks to assist in gaining program visibility and accessing new avenues for resource mobilization; and
- Ensure sustained visibility for all YALI RLC activities using social media and other communication platforms in a responsible manner.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications or other relevant field.
- At least 3 years of experience in the communications field with 2 years of work in East Africa or sub-Saharan Africa is preferred.
What impact will you make?
At Deloitte, we have a clear purpose, to make an impact that matters to our clients, our colleagues and our communities. From professional development to leadership opportunities and career advancement, we empower our people to be their very best – because that is how you make an impact.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues throughout the RLC and other constituents and the public;
- Demonstrated ability to strategize, implement and build constituency programs and activities;
- Extensive experience with constituent database software;
- Demonstrably strong writing, planning and organizational skills;
- Flexibility and initiative, as well as the ability to work independently, combined with the skills for thriving in a team environment to achieve institutional goals;
- High professional and ethical standards for handling confidential information; and
- Willingness to travel and work evenings and weekends as needed.
Your role as a leader
At Deloitte, we believe in the importance of leadership at all levels. We expect our people to embrace and live our purpose by challenging themselves to identify issues that are most important for our clients, our people, and for society and make an impact that matters.
Leadership / Behavioural Capabilities
Living our Purpose – Acts as a role model, embracing and living our purpose and values, and recognizing others for the impact they make.
Influence – Influences clients, teams, and individuals positively, leading by example and establishing confident relationships with increasingly senior people.
Performance drive – Delivers exceptional client service; maximizes results and drives high performance from people while fostering collaboration across businesses and borders.
Strategic direction – Translates broader strategy into a compelling team vision and goals; aligns the team and sets priorities to achieve objectives
Talent development – Develops high-performing people and teams through challenging and meaningful opportunities.
How you’ll grow
At Deloitte, our professional development plan focuses on helping people at every level of their career to identify and use their strengths to do their best work every day. From entry-level employees to senior leaders, we believe there is always room to learn. We offer opportunities to help build world-class skills in addition to hands-on experience in the global, fast-changing business world.
From on-the-job learning experiences to formal development programs, our professionals have a variety of opportunities to continue to grow throughout their career.
Deloitte is led by a purpose: to make an impact that matters. Every day, Deloitte people are making a real impact in the places they live and work. We pride ourselves on doing not only what is good for clients, but also what is good for our people and the communities in which we live and work—always striving to be an organization that is held up as a role model of quality, integrity, and positive change. Learn more about Deloitte’s impact on the world.https://www2.deloitte.com/global/en/pages/about-deloitte/articles/impact-that-matters.html
To the successful candidates, the Firm will offer a competitive and performance driven remuneration package, a highly energized team environment comprising individuals who are committed to working as one, producing results and enjoying it.