Educate! is seeking an enthusiastic and self-driven Experiments Coordinator to build out the management of our pilot program in Kenya, develop innovative program coordination structures and oversee monitoring, research and learning for Educate! in Kenya. Educate! aspires to be best in program performance management through real-time monitoring and systematic quality assurance.
The Experiments Coordinator will be at the center of building the necessary, underlying systems with this goal in mind. This involves innovating around the challenges of: empowering a new team to successfully launch the pilot in Kenya, managing and monitoring the program across far distances, and building real-time feedback loops to inform the program iteration to fit the needs of Kenya.
The Kenya Experiments Coordinator will have the opportunity to support the pilot of an impactful skills-based education model improving youth livelihoods in Kenya. The Kenya Experiments Coordinator is a mid-level position, with the opportunity to grow into manager level in 1-2 years.
Educate! needs a master trainer who is energized and driven to coordinate a new team ensuring the program creates a lasting impact on youth, and a pioneer, knowledgeable in quantitative and qualitative M&E approaches and in curriculum design, to drive program monitoring and learning forward.
Educate! prepares youth in Africa with the skills to succeed in today’s economy.
We tackle youth unemployment by partnering with youth, schools, and governments to design and deliver solutions that equip young people in Africa with the skills to attain further education, overcome gender inequities, start businesses, get jobs, and drive development in their communities. Our goal is to design skills-based education and employment solutions which impact youth life outcomes sustainably and at scale.
In 2019, we partnered with the governments of Uganda, Rwanda, and Kenya and measurably impacted over 46,000 youth in and out of schools while reaching 470,000 learners more broadly, making us the biggest youth skills providers in East Africa. Amidst the coronavirus pandemic, we’ve pivoted to create and deploy a distance learning model based on our proven in-school experience, and reached over 100,000 students by October 2020. Read here to learn more about Educate!’s distance learning model.
Two rigorous external evaluations of our flagship in-school model, including a randomized controlled trial, found that towards the end of secondary school, participants of our program earn nearly double the income of their peers. A follow-up RCT found that four years later, youth achieve strong and lasting shifts in skills, coupled with significant improvements in education and gender equity-related outcomes, especially young women. Our graduates change their lives and their communities, such as Daniel who opened a rural health clinic in his community employing two people and conducting about 350 checkups per month.
Educate! supports governments with integrating skills-based curriculum nationally. This includes partnering with Uganda’s government to integrate curriculum and a Student Business Club structure into Uganda’s entrepreneurship course nationally and serving as a technical advisor to both Rwanda and Kenya on national education reforms.
Educate! is a non-profit social enterprise with over 160 staff and 300 volunteer youth mentors. We have been backed by top foundations such as MasterCard, Big Bang Philanthropy, Echoing Green, Ashoka and Global Innovation Fund. Educate! won a 2018 Klaus J. Jacobs Prize (and was featured in a video), a 2015 WISE Award, and was highlighted by Bill Gates, in the World Bank’s S4YE’s Impact Portfolio, an Al Jazeera documentary, Forbes 30 under 30, and The Brookings Institution as one of 14 case studies in their global scaling education learning initiative. Educate! was also selected by the UN’s Generation Unlimited as 1 of 20 innovative youth solutions and by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation as a Goalkeepers Accelerator.
Educate!’s long-term vision is to design solutions that measurably impact millions of youth across Africa each year.
Coordinate program implementation to ensure high student impact
- Empower and grow a strong team of trainers to lead program activities in the field, including the implementation of our Bootcamp Pilot
- Plan and coordinate high-impact program activities
- Build effective program coordination and communication systems
- Report on program progress and quality
Ensure high program quality through monitoring
- Conduct targeted monitoring visits building and supporting the team
- Analyze feedback from monitoring visits to ensure program quality and standardization
- Ensure learnings are incorporated into program design and management practices
Build learning systems for continuous program improvement
- Develop efficient feedback structures for continuous stakeholder feedback
- Lead ex-post assessment of major program activities and derive lessons learned
- Conduct research to inform program design and adaptation
Contribute to curriculum development, testing, and implementation
- Participate in the development of the training curriculum
- Conduct early testing of key curriculum elements to capture areas of improvement
- Oversee implementation of of the curriculum by trainers in the bootcamp
- Bachelor’s Degree in Social Science or similar
- 2-4 years experience in Programs, exposure to M&E and/or Curriculum Design
- Experience with program management (preferred)
- Engaging and interactive trainer with passion for coaching team members
- Knowledge of quantitative & qualitative research approaches
- High level of proficiency in Windows Excel
- Good skills in data analysis, presentation and report writing
- Excellent analytical skills combined with a proactive, energetic approach to problem solving
- Fits our Five Cultural Tenets (see What is Educate! About? below); Learn more by looking at Educate!’s culture deck here
- Located in Nairobi, Kenya, with frequent travel to field locations necessary
- Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
- Benefits & perks include a generous vacation policy and health insurance.
Why You Will Brag About Working At Educate!
- We’ve got the impact.
- Educate! is designed for scale. We quadrupled operations in 2014, going from 54 to more than 200 schools served. We carefully measure our outcomes, and — here’s the best part — we are maintaining quality at four times the size.
- We believe in local leadership — 96% of our staff is African.
- Our model has gone nationwide in Uganda — Educate!’s model is now incorporated into the national curriculum and exams, impacting many thousands more students than we can reach directly.
- Educate is a well-oiled learning machine. We built our model by methodically testing hundreds of assumptions and we are constantly experimenting, evaluating, and improving.
- We’re honored that luminaries and leaders like Oliver Wonekha, the Ugandan Ambassador to the US, and Ann Veneman, a former Secretary of Agriculture and head of Unicef, believe in us enough to have joined our advisory board.
Preferred application deadline is June 10th 2021. After that we will continue to accept applications on a rolling basis, with the goal of filling the position ASAP.
What Is Educate! About?
We’re ambitious. Are you? Educate! is growing fast, so new opportunities are opening up and expanding all the time. We’re inspired by people with drive, and we love to help them reach their full potential. We expect everyone at Educate! to contribute above and beyond their job description, grow their skills, and advance their careers, and we are committed to supporting our staff members on that journey.
- We Put Youth First – The youth we serve come first. Always. In everything. That means we wake up thinking of ways we can serve youth even better and get the highest impact out of every dollar that we spend. It means Educate! doesn’t own a single vehicle, because we’d rather take the bus if it means one more student can participate. It means making every decision like the future depends on it — because if we get our way, it does.
- We Are Always Learning – When you work at Educate!, educating yourself is part of your job too. We encourage every employee to find the best book on management; share the latest article on graphic design; bring in your favorite college mentor; or meet the researcher pushing the edge of the field. We are always thirsty for knowledge and love to share.
- We Only Solve a Problem Once – We are allergic to band-aids so we love the person who brings the new system to solve the problem for good, even problems we haven’t recognized yet.
- We Are Flexible – We thrive on change — we’re driving it. We are growing every day, so we have to adapt quickly to meet new challenges, and our team keeps up.
- We Exceed Expectations – We assume we can achieve the impossible because we already have, year after year. We want our staff to create your own challenges, ask the toughest questions, and dream scary big!
Every person at Educate! — from interns to the executive director — is evaluated by how they live up to these five cultural tenets. They are at the core of how we achieve our mission and why we work as well as we do.
Educate is committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all who interact in our community. In creating this environment, we encourage people from a variety of cultures, backgrounds and life experiences to join our diverse team.
How to Apply