Gold Star Kenya (GSK) was established in 2010 as a local Non-Governmental Organization; GS Kenya was born out of the success of the Gold Star Network, a social franchise program initiative established in 2006 to promote comprehensive quality HIV care amongst a network of private health providers in Kenya. GSK implements health related projects in Kenya and is seeking to fill various positions under the 5-year USAID funded service delivery project, providing HIV care and treatment, as well as services in the area of family planning/reproductive, maternal, newborn, child, adolescent health (FP/RMNCAH), nutrition, and water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH). The project is focused on increasing the use of county-led health and social services in four counties in Kenya, namely Baringo, Laikipia, Samburu and Nakuru.
Position Title: Associate Technical Officer – WASH
The Technical Officer, WASH, provides technical oversight to the overall project WASH interventions. S/he will oversee integration of WASH interventions within the HIV/RMNCAH program. The ATO-WASH will support a broad range of WASH activities, including activity planning, implementation, evaluation, reporting, technical thought leadership, documentation of best practices and success stories and facilitation of knowledge sharing among relevant stakeholders.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Provide technical leadership for integrated WASH interventions.
- Plan, execute and report on WASH specific activities as per the Tujenge Jamii project mandate.
- Ensure effective communication and coordination for integrated WASH interventions with and among sub-county stakeholders including but not limited to MOH and MOE to maintain an active and engaged partnership.
- Facilitate capacity building and document and share knowledge and lessons learned through relevant forums and platforms.
- Ensure appropriate representation at key partner, national, county and sub-county WASH TWGs, events and meetings, participate in discussions, prepare and deliver presentations, etc.
- Develop strategies and plans to implement integrated WASH programs and support grassroots organizations such community based organizations for their capacity building, including their progress monitoring and reporting.
- Oversee, monitor and support the progress of integration of WASH into HIV/RMNCAH activities.
- Ensure quality of all project WASH deliverables and present program results, based on solid M&E procedures to Tujenge Jamii project partners at county and sub-county level and other platforms as required.
- Contribute to the WASH body of knowledge through documentation and presentation of best practices.
- Take up any other assignments as may be delegated by the supervisor and the project management.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Ability to work independently in a team, with strong leadership, coordination, and collaboration skills.
- Strong strategic planning, analytical and problem solving skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong presentation and public speaking skills.
- Strong, experience-based facilitation and negotiation skills.
- Strong training skills.
- Solid organizational ability to set priorities, meet deadlines, pay attention to detail and handle a variety of responsibilities efficiently and effectively.
Minimum Requirement Standards:
· Bachelor’s degree in one of the following or related fields: Environmental Health, Nursing, Health Education or other job-related field required or equivalent combination of education and work experience with at least 5 years of relevant work experience.
· Experience in health project management in resource constrained settings.
· Familiarity and experience working with local governments, and NGOs.
· Demonstrated knowledge and track record in project design, planning and management
· Knowledge of WASH/HIV/ RMNCAH content
· Excellent computer skills in MS Office Suite.
· Fluency in English language and working knowledge of Kiswahili is crucial.