The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is an impartial, neutral and independent organisation with the exclusively humanitarian mission to protect the lives and dignity of victims of war and internal violence and to provide them with assistance. It also endeavours to prevent suffering by promoting and strengthening International Humanitarian Law and universal humanitarian principles. The ICRC’s Regional Delegation in Nairobi co-ordinates the institution’s humanitarian activities in Kenya, Tanzania and Djibouti.
The Environmental Action Coordinator is the focal point for communication activities aimed at promoting environmental best-practices for delegations to reduce their environmental impact. S/he produces, revises and curates communication content (in a variety of media) for the intranet and other communication channels, based on technical information, organizes online trainings and workshops, and structures and facilitates an online community to promote the implementation of environmental actions.
Tasks and responsibilities
· Defines communication objectives and develops internal communication plans with respect to environmental best-practices, in line with the Sustainable Delegation Programme and under the supervision of the Environment & Climate Change Team Leader, with the overall goal of reducing delegations’ environmental impact;
· Starts and facilitates an online community, where environmental action “implementers” in all ICRC locations can find inspiration and ideas, ask questions and start a dialogue with other implementers and/or the environment and climate change team;
· Creates, edits, repurposes and delivers a wide variety of engaging content for digital channels, targeting the promotion of environmental best-practices to Finance & Administration Managers and Premises Managers, based on technical documentation;
· Provides advice on the best use of internal communication channels (timing, prioritization, frequency, packing of content) such as the intranet, webinar platforms and collaborative spaces;
· Organises online trainings or workshops on topics relevant to the reduction of delegations’ environmental footprint;
· Develops and carries out staff engagement projects to enhance understanding and motivation;
· Structures and maintains up-to-date an online database of environmental best-practices, covering both environmental footprint reduction actions and actions to limit the impact of environment and climate change on populations affected;
· Conducts evaluations of the success of the digital communication initiatives to continuously improve the content and format engagement;
· Ensures co-ordination with other planned institutional internal communication.
Minimum Requirements and competencies
· University degree from a recognized university in Communication-related field;
· Minimum 6 years professional working experience in a similar field;
· Experience in translating complex institutional documents into simpler concise key messages;
· Experience in developing communication products; print and online;
· Experience in using social media;
· Experience in the field of environment (sustainability) is an asset;
· Certificate of good conduct.
How to Apply
The interested candidates should fill up a form by clicking the link below on or before 21st May 2021 at 4:30 pm then submit their CV, motivation letter, including references details, supporting documents (Certificates, Diplomas, Degree etc) and current and expected remuneration to ICRC Nairobi Delegation, HR Department via the email address provided below:
The reference Environmental Action Coordinator must be stated in the application to be valid. If you do not fill out the required information as per the link provided or clearly state the position for which you are applying and attach the required certificates & other supporting documents, your application may not be considered. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Applicants must have the permanent right to work in Kenya.
ICRC does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process. All applications are free for all candidates and no one should require any payment or compensation during the recruitment process. May the candidate be asked for any fee, he/she must report to ICRC HR Department through the recruitment contact.
ICRC is committed to diversity and welcomes applications from qualified candidates regardless of disability, gender identity, marital or civil partnership status, race, colour or ethnic and national origins, religion or belief, or sexual orientation.
In processing your personal data for recruitment purposes, we follow the information notice as explained HERE*.