Communications Officer Job, Current Communication Jobs Kenya 2021,
The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) seeks to recruit an expert in editing and digital publishing to effectively manage ILRI’s publication pipeline and ensure timely delivery of ILRI science publications and be part of ILRI’s Communication and Knowledge Management team and part of the One Global division for CGIAR communications and outreach. This role focuses producing innovative and high quality publications for print and digital use. We are looking for someone with both editorial experience and excellent project management skills. The Manager will be part of ILRI’s Communication and knowledge management team and part of the One Global division for CGIAR communications and outreach
ILRI is a CGIAR research center with a mission to improve food and nutritional security and to reduce poverty in developing countries through research for efficient, safe and sustainable use of livestock—ensuring better lives through livestock. ILRI carries out rigorous science that needs to be published at a high quality and in a range of formats. It produces more than 900 publications a year across the institute. Co-hosted by Kenya and Ethiopia, it has regional or country offices and projects in East, South and Southeast Asia as well as Central, East, Southern and West Africa. www.ilri.org
Manage and coordinate the publications pipeline
- Review the publication pipeline process and develop a plan for its improvement
- Be responsible for the coordination and administration of the entire publication process for reports/books, including sourcing and managing relationships with external vendors (copyeditors, designers, translators, printers, ISBN numbers, Library of Congress, etc).
- Oversee contract and payment schedule of external consultants and service providers
- Help edit and review diverse communications products e.g. briefs, research reports, blogs, etc.
- Work with program teams/authors but also independently with limited supervision
Provide editorial and oversight support to publications and digital assets
- Provide necessary editorial support in reviewing publications, ensuring adherence to branding and publishing guidelines
- Support Communications team lead to review website quality of writing and identify areas for updating.
- Provide support in reviewing and editing blogs for quality control and managing blogs and other digital pipelines for ILRI.
- Manage quality control of ILRI Youtube/Flickr channels and upload photos and videos as needed
- Do basic editing and finishing of videos
- Actively engage and contribute to One-CGIAR communication and outreach focused publications
- Perform any other related duties as may be required
- Bachelors’ degree in science writing, communications, journalism or relevant field
- Relevant professional certification in editing or writing
- Seven years relevant experience
- Understanding of science and non-profit publishing practices and experience in editing for science publications
- Good editing and writing skills
- Familiarity with design software, web management and social media
- Ability to produce or conceptualize infographics is a plus
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, efficiently and on time
- Ability to work with different program teams/authors
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision
Post location: The position will be based in Nairobi, Kenya
Terms of Appointment
This position is at job level HG 15. The position is a 3-year contract, renewable subject to satisfactory performance and availability of funding. ILRI offers a competitive salary and benefits package which includes pension, medical and other insurances
How to apply
Applicants should send a cover letter and CV expressing their interest in the position, what they can bring to the job and the names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to the Director, People and Organizational Development by clicking on the “Apply Now“ tab above before 18 November 2021. The position title and reference number REF:IPP/CKM/11/2021 should be clearly marked on the subject line of the cover letter.
We thank all applicants for their interest in working for ILRI. Due to the volume of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ILRI does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing or training). ILRI also does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank accounts.
To find out more about ILRI visit our websites at http://www.ilri.org
ILRI is an equal opportunity employer