Opportunity for an Investigative Journalist at the Biodiversity and Biosafety Association of Kenya (BIBA-K)
The Biodiversity and Biosafety Association of Kenya (BIBA-Kenya) is a coalition of over 60 farmerorganizations, animal welfare networks, consumer networks; faith-based organizations; and community-based groups. They all have an interest and work in the areas of environment, agriculture, health and biodiversity.
BIBA-Kenya wishes to recruit an Investigative Journalist to support a project being implemented by BIBA-K and the Alliance for Food Sovereignty in Africa (AFSA). Qualified and interested candidates are herein requested to respond to this advert appropriately.
Scope of the work
The hired personnel will sign a one-year contract and will be responsible for the following duties:
- Design, develop and carry out rigorous research on the financial flows into Africa.
- Map out key stakeholders in financial flows in Africa.
- Identify and investigate the role of various key stakeholders in African agriculture.
- Prepare, produce and document the research reports, policy briefs, infographics, advocacy and campaign materials etc
- Develop an advocacy and communication strategy
- Establish strong working relationships with national, regional, continental and international media houses and journalists.
- Support training workshops, panel discussions and other networking opportunities.
Qualifications and Attributes
The ideal candidate should have a minimum of the following qualities;
- A Bachelor’s degree in Agriculture/ Journalism/ Communications/ Environment/ Policy or a closely related discipline
- Must not be continuing student either in research or undertaking work contributing to studies completion. Copies of Degree Certificates must be provided
- Have at least 5 years’ experience in investigative journalism.
- Experience in communications, policy and advocacy work
- Have substantive experience in analysing quantitative and qualitative data
- Good IT skills, including databases and office software packages
- Effective communicator and fluent in both English and Kiswahili (written and oral)
- Have excellent social media skills and management
- Must be highly proficient in the use of Microsoft and statistical packages, Internet, emails, data analysis and documentation.
- Willing to learn and be mentored in his / her work and in development and networking in general
- Be a team player and willing to work long hours to meet deadlines and targets
- Willing and able to travel at short notice
- Knowledge of Nairobi city and the country in general will be an added advantage.
Remuneration: This is a salaried / remunerated position and the person to be engaged will benefit from a competitive all-inclusive package
Location: The person to be engaged will be based in Thika within the BIBA-Kenya offices.
Deadline and Application Procedure
Interested parties should submit their applications by email stating their current and expected salary, Cover letter and CV only to; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Application for Investigative Journalist by 12th October 2021.
The National Coordinator,
Biodiversity and Biosafety Association of Kenya,
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Hand delivered applications will not be accepted.