Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) Kenya
POSITION: Senior Field Officer (4 positions)
REPORTING TO: Senior Research Associate
START DATE: 15th November 2021
LOCATION: Samburu and Turkana Counties
DURATION: 2 Months
DEADLINE: 21st October 2021
ELIGIBILITY: Position open to local Kenyan hires only
About Innovations for Poverty Action: Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a non-profit organization dedicated to discovering and promoting effective solutions to global poverty problems.
In close partnership with decision makers — the policymakers, practitioners, investors, and donors working with the poor around the world — IPA designs and evaluates potential solutions to poverty problems using randomized evaluations, the most rigorous evaluation method available.
We also mobilize and support these decision makers to use these solutions to build better programs and policies at scale.
About the Project: PRO-WASH study is part of the ongoing Nutrition in ASALS Within Integrated Resilient Institutions (NAWIRI, ASALS: arid and semi-arid lands). The goal of NAWIRI is to understand and address causes of persistent acute malnutrition among children in Turkana and Samburu Counties, Kenya.
This project is conducted by a consortium, including IPA, APHRC, RTI, Mercy Corps, Save the Children, BOMA, and CARITAS. This part of the study is being led by IPA and will contribute to filling knowledge gaps regarding transmission of pathogens to children under two years in the pastoralist communities in Turkana South and Samburu North.
It will provide evidence regarding potential interventions to reduce pathogen transmission in these communities.
About the Position: The Senior Field Officer under the general supervision of the Senior Research Associate and within the limits of Innovations for Poverty Action-Kenya policies and procedures coordinates the facilitation of field activities and functions within IPAK.
Below is a list of some of the general duties and responsibilities of the Senior Field Officer, to be carried out as needed according to the determination of the Senior Research Associate.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Explaining project objectives and obtaining informed consent from all respondents before data and sample collections.
- Assist with the collection of animal fecal samples collection and delivery to the field labs.
- Assist with translations, pretesting and piloting surveys, providing feedback during debriefs on field operations
and survey instruments that will inform and monitor improvements in survey tools.
- In the morning, collect all the equipment and supplies needed for sample collection as per field checklist.
- Administer samples collection survey tool and collect drinking water, soils, stool samples from all eligible study
households using SurveyCTO.
- Ensuring samples are collected and handled aseptically according to the SOP during transport to the lab
without cross-contaminations or loss.
- Ensure that samples collected from the field are delivered, received, and logged at the field lab every day at
the end of field work.
- Ensure that all the supplies and equipment are returned to the lab at the end of field work and liaise with
supervisors to ensure that materials, such as icepacks, gloves, stool, water, animal and soil sampling
containers are enough for the next day’s exercise.
- Ensure that at the end of field work, all used cooler boxes and ice packs are returned to the lab and sterilized,
ready for use the following morning.
- Maintain professionalism when working with the collaborator (government hospital lab)
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Diploma or bachelor’s degree in Animal health or animal husbandry (para-veterinary), or related discipline with previous field experience in livestock handling and animal fecal sample collection.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and Swahili
- Excellent management and organizational skills
- Flexible, self-motivated, and able to manage multiple tasks efficiently, a team player.
- Should be Computer literate
- Samburu and Turkana speakers preferred.
- Willing to work in Samburu and Turkana counties for the duration of the project.
How to Apply
Please CLICK HERE to apply online.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
DISCLAIMER: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the Senior Field Officer. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties,
tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational
needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant. Applicants
are encouraged to confirm the information listed above with IPA.