Established in 1984 in the UK, Islamic Relief is an international NGO seeking to promote sustainable economic and social development by working with local communities through relief and development activities.
IR started operations in Kenya in 1993 on orphan sponsorship programme through a local CBO in Mandera District, Northern Kenya. It opened its fully fledged office in March in 2006 at the height of drought in the Horn of Africa. Since then, IR has been providing humanitarian and development assistance to vulnerable communities. Over these years it has implemented various development and relief activities in Mandera. This has remarkably changed the lives of the vulnerable and disadvantaged communities. In January 2010, IRK extended its operation to Wajir County, neighbouring Mandera, in January 2012 expanded to Garrissa and Dadaab, and in October 2017 opened programme office in Kilifi County.
IR aim to help the needy regardless of race, religion or gender and implement our work within the following themes: Disaster & Humanitarian Response; Sustainable Community Empowerment; and Education, Child Protection and DevelopmentIntegrated sustainable development is one of the broad global goals adopted by Islamic Relief in its institutional strategic plan that contribute to Empowering local communities through integrated intervention in Mandera and Wajir Counties
Islamic Relief Kenya in pursuit to support and strengthen its operations, seeks to employ motivated, hardworking and pro-active individuals to fill in the following position.
Job Title: Project Assistant (PA) Education and Peace Building
Reporting To: Project Officer -Education and Peace Building
Base Location: Wajir Field Office 100%
The project assistant (Education & peace building) will assist in the implementation of Education, peace building and women empowerment component of the project “*Empowering Local Communities through Integrated Interventions project in Mandera & Wajir Counties. He/she will directly report to the project officer*
Project planning and implementation
· Conduct social mobilizations, project target identifications, setting target criteria for the integrated project activities.
· Work closely with the Community focal persons in Mobilization, sensitization and general implementation of the project including handling beneficiaries complains.
· Assist in the development of project implementation plans and budgets within the project framework.
· Assist in Supporting and keeping track of day-to-day activities implementation at the selected sites.
· Assist in the Preparation of weekly project implementation plans/acceleration plans
· Ensure timely implementation of project activities as per the work plan budgetary, standards and procedures.
· Ensure filling of project documents in accordance with IRK policy and procedures.
· Assist in any other implementation duty assigned by line managers.
Monitoring, Documentation, Communications and reporting
· Ensure the project target is achieved in line with project plans and result framework
· Assist in Developing project implementation tools including Detailed Implementation Plans (DIPs), M&E Plans, Procurement Plans, Communication plan, weekly/monthly work plans as may be necessary.
· Document community and stakeholders’ feedback and share with relevant stakeholders for appropriate action.
· Regular monitoring and evaluation of project implementation at field Level.
· Prepare and submit timely monthly, quarterly, annually narrative, and financial reports.
· Ensure compliance with the requirements of the IRK’s M&E System, Core humanitarian Standard (CHS) and other relevant policies.
Coordination and Networking
· Coordinate with other partners working in the area in support of programme,
· Represent IRK at relevant stakeholder forums as may be requested by the line Managers
Qualification and experience
· Diploma in education, peace, security and governance, Development studies and Project management
· Minimum of at least three years’ experience working in similar context and fields
· Past work experience with the similar geographical context is desirable.
Personal skills and competencies
· Excellent interpersonal skills with a strong beneficiary/local partner-service focus.**
· Ability to work with diverse groups of people as a member of multi-cultural teams.
· Ability to prioritize work, multitask and control processes.
· Experience in projects planning, Implementation, Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning.
· Knowledge of the key issues and trends in Education & Peace building / Conflict resolution and women empowerment sectors.
· Maturity, diplomacy, tact, and discretion, with strong negotiation skills.
· Proven analytical skills and ability to think strategically.
· Fluency in English both written and verbal.
· Knowledge of education in emergencies, education sector policy, child rights and protection issues
· Experiences of facilitating community-based training, capacity building school managements, skills/experience in peace initiatives-workshops, trainings, rallies, peace events. and awareness campaigns.
· Working experience in North Eastern Kenya
· Knowledge of local language- Kiswahili, Somali and Oromifa