Senior Research Scientist Job, Current Jobs Kenya,
- Basic Salary Scale: KShs. 116,410 – KShs. 151,334 P.M.
- House Allowance: KShs. 35,000 P.M.
- Commuter Allowance: KShs. 8,000 P.M.
- Annual Leave Allowance: KShs. 10,000 P.A.
- Medical Cover & Other Allowances: As provided by KMFRI
- Terms of Service: Permanent & Pensionable
The senior research scientists shall be deployed in any of the following research areas: Oceans and Coastal Systems & Blue Economy, Freshwater Systems, Aquaculture and Socioeconomics research areas.
The duties and responsibilities of the officer will entail: –
- Prioritizing research problems for implementation;
- Developing research concepts for donor support;
- Guiding research scientists in identification of research areas;
- Reviewing project proposals, scientific publications and grant applications for submission;
- Coordinating medium sized multi-disciplinary research teams;
- Budgeting for research projects and resource management;
- Writing relevant technical reports including refereed journal papers, book chapters, research notes, technical notes, conference papers and posters, dissemination flyers for stakeholder sensitization;
- Disseminating research findings in local and international fora that include seminar, workshops, congress;
- Briefing visitors including County and National government on the institution’s research activities;
- Participating in planning and executing relevant capacity building courses to improve research skills for scientists;
- Implementing relevant ISO standards in their departments;
- Training, supervising and mentoring scientists, technologists, and students;
- Implementing institute’s and national aquatic research policies;
- Identifying innovations and technologies for up-scaling;
- Assist in providing scientific advisory services on behalf of the Institute;
- Responding to calls for proposals for consultancies (e.g. on development projects, status of environment) upon request
- Developing Policy briefs
- Organizing monthly internal seminars
- Participating in conferences, field days, and workshop
- Participating in joint research (both locally and internationally) through combined development of research proposals and publications
- Soliciting for grants to organize scientific workshops (local, regional, international)
Requirements for Appointment/Person Specifications
For appointment to this grade, a candidate must have: –
- At least six (6) years of relevant experience, three (3) of which must have been as a Research Scientist or a comparable position in the public or private sector;
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent degree in any of the following fields: Aquatic or Fisheries Sciences, Biological or Physical Sciences, Natural Resources Management, Environmental studies, Geology, Bio-statistics, Marine engineering, Sociology, Economics, Anthropology, Biometrics, Biotechnology; or any other aquatic, fisheries and other relevant disciplines from a recognized institution;
- Master’s degree in any of the following fields: Marine or Fisheries Sciences, Biological or Physical Sciences, Sociology, Economics, Biometrics, Environmental Studies; or equivalent from a recognized institution;
- Published a minimum of five (5) peer reviewed publications in ISI-indexed journals, with at least two (2) first authorship as a Research Scientist, KMFRI Grade 6, or a comparable position.
- A supervisory course lasting not less than two (2) weeks.
- Project Management Course lasting not less than one (1) month from a recognized institution;
- Demonstrated professional competence as reflected in work performance and results; and
- Meets the requirements of Chapter 6 of the Constitution.
Key Competencies and Skills
- Strong communication and reporting skills;
- Strong analytical and numerical skills;
- Strong organization and interpersonal skill;
- Mentoring, coaching and leadership skills;
- Conflict management; and
- Ability to work under pressure, prioritize and multi-task.
How To Apply
Interested and qualified candidates MUST complete the KMFRI Job Application Form, attach their testimonials, certificates, copy of their National Identification Card (ID) and Curriculum Vitae (CV).
Submit their applications both in HARD and SOFT COPY, and envelopes containing the documents should clearly be marked with the position applied for and sent to the address below not later than Wednesday, 7th July 2021.
The Director General,
Kenya Marine and Fisheries Research Institute,
P. O. Box 81651 – 80100,
Silos Road, English Point, Mkomani,
Shortlisted candidates in compliance with the Chapter Six of the Constitution will be required to present originals of the following documents during the interviews:
- Certificate of Good Conduct from the Directorate of Criminal Investigations
- Clearance/Compliance Certificate from Higher Education Loans Board (HELB)
- Tax Compliance Certificate from Kenya Revenue Authority
- Clearance from Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission (EACC)
- Clearance from recognized Credit Reference Bureau (CRB)
Only SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES will be contacted and shall be required to produce originals of their National Identity Card, academic and professional certificates and clearance certificates during the interviews.
Any canvassing will lead to AUTOMATIC DISQUALIFICATION.
KMFRI IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER COMMITTED TO DIVERSITY, PERSONS LIVING WITH DISABILITY, WOMEN, YOUTH AND THOSE FROM MARGINALIZED AREAS ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.