Department: Legal Services & Board Coordination,
Division: Litigation Services,
Location / Work Station: Ushuru Pension Towers,
Commissioner Legal Services & Board Coordination.
Chief Manager- Litigation (Five (5))
Oversees the functions and operations of the Litigation Services Division, providing and guiding all the legal advice on matters affecting the Authority, preparation of legal documents, vetting of fiscal budget proposals, provision of litigation services.
Key Responsibilities/ Duties / Tasks
Managerial / Supervisory Responsibilities
- Guide formulation and oversee implementation of strategies for the Division.
- Lead pre-litigation processes between KRA and other parties and render advice
- Lead and manage the Litigation function.
- Review and advise management on legal implications of internal policies and procedures.
- Advise on initiation of suits and protect the Authority.
- Monitor compliance with agreed systems and procedures to enhance efficient and effective prevention and execution of business risks.
- Interpret relevant legislation and advise management and relevant Departments on changes in Law.
- Provide guidance in research and review of legislation that impact on KRA and recommend any necessary amendments.
- Overseeing regular and timely performance reporting as well as the development of
- division’s business plan in alignment with KRA’s corporate plan
- Day-to-day operations, supervision, management of performance and development of staff in the Division
- Facilitate implementation of the work plans for the following corporate initiatives in the Division; Audit, Integrity, QMS and Risk Management.
- Collaborate and manage stakeholder engagements (external counsel, judiciary, AG etc)
Operational Responsibilities / Tasks
- Development and management of the divisional work plan and budget.
- Drive initiatives to improve ethics, culture and facilitate change management in the division
- Ensure adherence to institutional leave policy within the Division.
- Responsible for Division budget
Responsibility for Physical Assets
- Responsible for office assets assigned by the Authority.
Decision Making / Job Influence
- Strategic, Managerial and Operational
- Works predominantly within the office with limited field visits during engagements with other stakeholders and court attendance.
Job Competencies (Knowledge, Experience and Attributes / Skills).
- Bachelor’s degree in Law (LLB).
- A Post graduate diploma in Law.
- Advocate of the High Court of Kenya.
- Possess a valid Practicing Certificate (LSK).
- Leadership, Management and Governance courses.
- Master’s degree in a relevant discipline will be an added advantage.
Professional Qualifications / Membership to professional bodies
- Post Graduate Diploma in Law
- Advocate of the High Court of Kenya
- Possess a valid Practicing Certificate (LSK)
Previous relevant work experience required.
- Minimum Ten (10) years’ post admission work experience in similar role i.e. Commercial Law and Litigation Practice with at least Five (5) in management in a comparable organization.
Functional Skills, Behavioral Competencies/Attributes
- Excellent leadership and people management skills
- Ability to build and maintain strong relationships.
- Motivates, dynamic and dedicated team player.
- Trial advocacy skills
- Resilient, focused and results oriented.
- Tax business understanding
- Tax policy and governance
- Ability to identify and deal with operational risk
- Results driven and analytical
- Strong decision-making skills
- Excellent negotiation and conflict management skills
- Risk management and analysis
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- All applications from interested and qualified candidates must be submitted online via the process below.
- ONLY shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- All applications should be submitted online by 3rd May 2021.
- KRA is an equal opportunity employer committed to gender and disability mainstreaming. Persons with Disability are encouraged to apply.
- KRA does not charge for application, processing, interviewing or any other fee in connection with our recruitment process.