TDB, the oldest bank of Mongolia, prides itself for its leading position in the universal banking service provider, offering over 130 types of international standard banking products, professional and user friendly banking services. The Bank acts as a primary lender to most of Mongolian leading corporations as well as foreign corporations and foreign representative offices across all major industrial and commercial sectors with a constantly innovating range of universal banking products and services delivered with dynamism and excellence in service and quality. TDB is undoubtedly the major player in the financial and banking markets as well as a major innovator of the Mongolian financial sector. Mongolian Best Corporate Bank: TDB serves approximately 400 major Mongolian corporations in almost all major sectors. The bank provides various corporate banking services including corporate lending, trade financing syndicated lending and deposit taking through highly qualified staffs.
The Eastern and Southern African Trade and Development Bank, trading as Trade Development Bank (TDB), is a specialized African multilateral financial institution serving public and private sector clients in most of the Eastern and Southern African states. TDB’s objective is to provide short, medium and long-term financing to viable trade, projects and infrastructure transactions in its member states.
TDB aims to attract and retain exceptionally talented professionals by offering a conducive working environment and attractive salaries and benefits. In line with its growth strategy, TDB is looking for self-motivated and results oriented professionals to join a team committed to building a world class financial institution aimed at promoting trade, economic development and regional integration. Interested and qualified candidates who are nationals of TDB’s member states are therefore invited to apply for the subject position.
Reporting to the General Counsel and Senior Executive, Legal Services Department, this position, which will be based in Ebène, Mauritius or in Nairobi, Kenya, is responsible for drafting and reviewing loan agreements, commercial contracts, and other transaction documents to ensure conformity to Bank’s decision records and policies, provide legal advice and ensure adequate legal representation during court proceedings to safeguard the Bank against legal suits from Borrowers or third parties.
The Legal Officer performs the following duties:
- Draft and negotiate loan agreements, ancillary transaction documents, and commercial contracts (including non-disclosure agreements); and prepare such drafts for proper execution.
- Provide legal services and assistance for loans and related operations of the Bank throughout the origination, appraisal/due diligence, underwriting, documentation, and supervision stages.
- Advise the Bank on interpretation and implementation of legal issues to protect the Bank’s interest.
- Support the appointment of receiver/administrator and the administration of receivership cases.
- Draft legal communications with external legal counsels, courts and other judicial and administrative bodies to protect the Bank’s interest.
- Negotiate legal instrument on active transactions in accordance with the Bank policies through monitoring existing assignments.
- Update status of accounts as per departmental dashboard to organize day to day work by sharing information on actual status of each transaction and action plan.
Qualifications and Competencies
- Juris Doctor’s degree or a Master’s degree in Law (LLM) and Bachelor’s degree in Law (LLB) from an accredited institution.
- Qualification to practice law in any jurisdiction relevant to the Bank’s business or in any of the Bank’s member countries.
- A minimum of 5-8 years of relevant experience, including international work experience in a commercial, financial, or legal advisory institution and/or public sector financial body (e.g., International law firm, multi-national corporate, bank, insurance company, investment advisory firm, DFI, Ministry of Finance, National Treasury, Sovereign Wealth Fund).
- Proven track record and experience as a banking, finance, and corporate lawyer.
- Strong legal drafting, problem solving, negotiation, organizational and planning skills with the ability to work in a multi-cultural environment, manage dynamic priorities, and work under pressure to deliver on strict deadlines.
- A results-oriented individual with excellent communication, facilitation, and interpersonal skills.
- Bilingual fluency in English and Portuguese is a requirement for this position.