The Northern Rangelands Trust is a non-profit umbrella organization supporting 33 community conservancies across northern Kenya. Its mission is to develop resilient community conservancies, which transform lives, secure peace and conserve natural resources.
Purpose of the position:
To improve livestock productivity and marketing in northern Kenya, NRT Trading is establishing livestock technical extension delivery services targeting specific livestock actors (Herders/Morans) with the requisite livestock management training. The approach will mimic the Farmer Field Schools approach that will be practically oriented to impart requisite skills to pastoralists. NRT Trading is seeking to recruit a professional Livestock Extension Officer to support the extension service delivery in the target conservancies.
He/She will be part of the team responsible for providing livestock technical advisory services to the community members, taking leadership in the coordination of Herders field school’s curriculum, liaison with government subject matter specialists on livestock value chains and conducting trainings for pastoralists. The person will also be coordinating cattle marketing awareness with the conservancy leadership among other responsibilities to be assigned.
Reporting to the Livestock Director, The Livestock Extension Officers will be based in the field and will be assigned to oversee 10 conservancies spread out across 4 counties.
- A Degree in Animal Heath & production, Livestock Production or Animal Science from a recognized University in Kenya with at least two year’s field experience in Livestock value chains in cattle, sheep, goats, and camel production in the ASAL areas of Kenya, or Diploma in Animal production or Animal Health and Production from a recognized livestock training institution.
- Good understanding of the Livestock and Animal Health regulations in Kenya.
- Must be conversant with extensive livestock production systems in the ASAL areas of Kenya.
- Computer literate and with excellent writing skills.
- Fluent in spoken and written English and Kiswahili languages. Fluency in Languages of northern Kenya are desired.
- Member of the respective professional bodies.
- High Integrity and discipline. Must be innovative, proactive, and quick at decision making.
- Possess a valid riding Motorcycle license.
The successful candidate will be based in NRT Trading HQ within Lewa Wildlife Conservancy. Isiolo, Meru and Nanyuki are the nearest majors towns.
Northern Rangelands Trust,
Private Bag, Isiolo-60300
Qualified applicants drawn from the membership of conservancies where we operate will have a distinct advantage. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Closing Date : 11th June, 2021