The Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition (GAIN) is an international organization driven by the vision of a world without malnutrition. OUR METHODOLOGY / At GAIN, we believe that no one sector alone can solve the complex problem of malnutrition. We work closely with partners including governments, civil society, businesses, UN agencies, and academic institutions to develop programs that deliver large-scale and locally relevant solutions to malnutrition in more than 30 countries.
Location: Marsabit or Isiolo County, Kenya
Salary: Starting from KES 1,877,145 – 2,142,226 per annum (dependent on experience)
Contract Type: Fixed Term
Duration: 24 Months
The Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition (GAIN) is recruiting for a Project Associate with consumer-focused Demand Creation experience to support their input in the USAID-funded “Nutrition in ASALs Within Integrated Resilient Institutions” Project (NAWIRI). This role is offered on an initial 24-month contract basis and can be carried out in either Marsabit or Isiolo Counties in Kenya.
The Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition (GAIN) is a Swiss-based foundation launched at the UN in 2002 to tackle the human suffering caused by malnutrition. Working with both governments and businesses, we aim to transform food systems so that they deliver more nutritious food for all people. In particular, we aim to make healthier food choices more desirable, more available, and more affordable. GAIN’s mission is to advance nutrition outcomes by improving consumption of nutritious and safe food for all people, especially the most vulnerable to malnutrition.
About the Role
Reporting to the Project Manager, the Project Associate, Demand Creation will provide technical expertise to create and sustain consumer demand for nutritious foods in Isolo and Marsabit Counties. You will be responsible for consumer-facing marketing activities that encourage purchasing of nutritious foods.
Specific Responsibilities include;
- Assessing nutritious foods marketing opportunities and working with the Project Manager to develop / revise the market expansion strategy for the GAIN supported SMEs
- Facilitating the development of the position of branded nutritious food based on lower-income family preferences.
- Identifying effective and efficient promotion activities in collaboration with civil society, government and private sectors, and facilitating the implementation of such activities
- Participating in and contributing to the development and implementation of project work plans.
- Providing assistance to the project manager by documenting and monitoring the project progress against project workplan and budget.
- Collecting, documenting, collating and analysing project data for monitoring and management information purposes
- Planning, coordinating and organizing time-bound project site visits
You should have good experience in the agri-food sector in Kenya with a specific focus on advertising and / or marketing of food to consumers. Previous experience of working in food sales would be highly desirable, as would experience working in a public/private partnership environment. In addition, you should hold at minimum a Bachelor’s degree in Business Management (Sales and Marketing); Bachelor of Commerce (Marketing option) or a suitable equivalent field. A diploma or equivalent certification in project management would be advantageous.