Vacant Position: Deputy Program Director
Report To: Program Director
Background: The Center for International Health, Education and Biosecurity (CIHEB)-Kenya is a local non-governmental organization collaborating with the Ministry of Health and County Health Management Teams to strengthen health systems for improved quality of health care in Kenya.
CIHEB-Kenya is collaborating with the county governments of Mombasa, Kilifi, Kwale, Taita Taveta, Machakos, Makueni, Kitui, Nairobi, Kisumu and Migori to support the implementation and expansion of high quality, sustainable and comprehensive HIV prevention, care and treatment programs and expansion of COVID-19 vaccination with funding from the President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR).
Job Summary: The Deputy Program Director, in liaison with the Program Director will lead program operations at the sub-office level including overseeing smooth implementation of project work plan activities within budget.
He/she will support the Program Director in contract management, liaison with CDC, identification and roll out of new initiatives and innovative approaches to programming.
He/she will provide leadership in finance, administration and grants management and will be responsible for supporting/strengthening relationships with the county partners.
1. Effective program implementation underpined by principles of efficiency, sustainability and eventual transition.
- Develop, oversee and review workplans and strategies to facilitate effective implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the project.
- Ensure that project activities and program strategies are well thought through and utilized under each objective for the realisation of performance objectives.
- Solicit feedback from staff and project participants and make necessary adjustments for effective and efficient project delivery.
- Establish and maintain positive working relationship with the local county governnment ministry of health and other local implementing partners for enhanced synergies.
- Take lead in strengthening county health systems to ensure transition to sustainable high quality HIV service delivery.
2. Financial, and Budget Management, Program Administration and Procurement Support
- Prepare a costed work plan and budget, and track the program budget in line with the approved budget, and efficiently manage budget in accordance with donor rules and regulations and CIHEB-K policies.
- Identify budget burn rates and discrepancies and advise on timely budget revision where appropriate.
- Allocate program resources as per approved costed work plan, and ensure that resources are used prudently and effectively.
- Ensure effective implementation of CIHEB-K financial and administrative policies and procedures concerning procurement, logistics, personnel and inventory management.
- Approve program expenditures within approved limits while ensuring the costs are reasonable, allowable and allocable as per approved budget.
- Safeguard project assets and maintain inventory registers
- Carry out administrative functions and ensure compliance to CIHEB-K and donor financial procedures, human resource and administration guidelines.
- Facilitate Procurement of goods and services as per CIHEB-K operational guidelines and standards based upon the price and quality
- Prepare new budgets and or revisions in a timely, consultative manner, keeping the Program Director informed.
- Provide day to day supervision of the regional finance, administration and grants management team
3. Support for M&E, Documentation, Reporting and Knowledge management
- In liaison with the Program Director and S.I Director implement systems for effective monitoring and evaluation to inform performance of project interventions.
- Support in preparation of project performance reports and ensure timely submission of monthly data, quarterly, semiannual and annual project reports.
- Work with the P.I and PD to develop plans for ongoing monitoring and review of project results and outputs, which will be used to make decisions concerning revisions/adjustments to project strategies.
- With support of the S.I director and PD, and in collaboration with the technical team, develop a system to identify and document promising practices and lessons within the program.
4. Sub grant Management
- Guide sub-grantees in sub award contract management including monitoring of funds to ensure they are utilized as required.
Support in monthly and quarterly review and audit of all the sub grantee’s financial/narrative reports to ensure compliance to the sub grant contracts
- Provide timely feedback reports and recommendations on financial and narrative reports to sub grantees
- Facilitate effective communication regarding utilization of sub grants between the program, sub grantees and finance department.
- Support in reviewing of partner proposals, work plans and budgets to ensure they meet the overall project objectives.
- Undertake monitoring of implementation of project activities by sub grantees to ensure adherence to the set terms and conditions in each sub grant contract.
- Prepare periodic updates on the Sub-awards for CIHEB-K management review
5. Representation and Reporting
- Organizing and coordinating representation of the program at relevant meetings with stakeholders, as appropriate.
- In conjunction with Program Director, represent the program to donors and key county stakeholders such as local county government ministry of health and other local implementing partners.
- Assisting the Program Director with conveying information, writing and submitting programmatic reports, and circulating regular internal briefings to management and project team.
Qualifications and Experience
- Advanced degree in public health, plus at least 7 years’ experience implementing donor funded programs
- Demonstrable knowledge on sub award contract management,
- Experience implementing public health programs with cross-sectorial stakeholders at all levels including MOH as well as collaborate with National and county governments
- Experience working with US government donor agencies and familiarity with USG rules and regulations desired
How to Apply:
Kindly send your application that includes a cover letter and an updated CV including names of three professional referees to CIHEBKENYA_Recruitment@cihebkenya.org on or before 24th September 2021.
Applicants are advised to include the title “DEPUTY PROGRAM DIRECTOR” on the subject line.
The Center for International Health, Education and Biosecurity (CIHEB)-Kenya is an equal opportunity employer.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted