Options Consultancy Services Limited was established in 1992 and is a wholly owned subsidiary of Marie Stopes International. We are a consultancy organisation providing technical and management expertise in the health and social sectors to governments and international development partners to transform the health of women and children. We provide information, expertise and influence to governments, health workers, NGOs and businesses to catalyse change so that health services can be accessed by the people who need them most.
Evidence for Action–MamaYe (www.MamaYe.org) is a programme managed by Options Consultancy Services aiming to improve reproductive, maternal, new born, child and adolescent health (RMNCAH) outcomes through a combined focus on evidence, advocacy and accountability in several sub-Saharan African countries.
E4A-MamaYe acts as a catalyst for action, using evidence strategically to generate political commitment, strengthen accountability and improve planning and decision making at sub-national and national levels.
In Kenya, we support civil society coalitions, Maternal and Perinatal Death Surveillance and Response (MPDSR) Committees, and Technical Working Groups, to strengthen their capacity to use evidence to advocate and make decisions that improve Reproductive, Maternal, New born, Child and Adolescent Health (RMNCAH) outcomes in Bungoma and Nairobi counties, with linkages to the national level. The focus of the current implementation is to build sustainability of our approaches so that coalitions, committees and working groups are equipped with the knowledge, tools and resources to operate independently, identify priorities and develop strategies to achieve progress.
As Evidence Advisor you are responsible for overseeing project monitoring, evaluation and learning, and supporting the effective design and implementation of interventions that aim to achieve use of quality evidence for informed action to improve MNH services. The post holder will provide technical support and skills to county government health structures and civil society coalitions to enhance the use of data for decision-making and linking quality of care data to the national and county planning and budgeting processes. S/he will lead in tracking of programme progress through the results framework to ensure the achievement of milestones and indicators
S/he will also quality-assure the evidence-related work across E4A Mama Ye including providing guidance and support to the teams on evidence related capacity strengthening activities.
This position is line managed by the E4A Kenya Country Lead and will be based in Options’ office in Nairobi, Kenya.
To succeed in this role, you will have:
- Master’s degree in public health, M&E, demography, epidemiology, health management or related field
- At least eight years’ work experience, with significant experience in the provision of technical assistance including remote support;
- Experience of working within the health system in Kenya, specifically in the area of RMNCAH
- Experience analysing quality of care data and supporting its use in advocacy and accountability efforts;
- Experience working with data from DHIS2, including MPDSR data (ability to navigate the system; understand the challenges; and downloading data required for further analysis)
- Strong understanding of using evidence for accountability to facilitate change;
- Strong analytic skills for health systems data;
- Skills in health budget analysis and budget tracking
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with a demonstrable ability to present complex concepts in easy to understand language for a range of audiences;
- Sound monitoring evaluation skills, including the collection and analysis of programme data
- Highly proactive with strong initiative. Able to drive work forward independently and in strong collaboration with a team
- Options is an equal opportunities employer
- Our organisation is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and post holders to share this commitment.
- We seek people who are pro-choice, energetic and enthusiastic about Options’ vision.
- Overseas candidates require a valid Kenya work permit.