Financial Analyst Job, Current Finance Jobs Kenya,
Position: Financial Analyst
The Pharo Foundation (“the Foundation”) is a privately funded entrepreneurial organisation that runs philanthropic programmes as well as for-profit Pharo Ventures. The Vision of the Foundation is an economically vibrant and inclusive Africa. The Mission is to achieve the Vision by investing in the human and physical capital of Africa, with a strong focus on job creation.
Established in 2011 as a UK based non-profit, the Foundation has since made a strategic shift to directly design and implement its own programmes to ensure greater engagement with communities, better results and increased accountability. The Foundation has carried out numerous projects in East Africa, with a focus on Ethiopia and Somaliland, and has now set up operations in Rwanda with plans for further expansion into Uganda and Kenya. The key strategic pillars for the philanthropic side of the Foundation are education, health, water and agriculture. At the end of 2019, the Foundation also started its Pharo Ventures franchise to prioritise sectors where the Foundation believes a real impact can be made by establishing self-sustaining businesses, which focus on job and economic value creation.
Headquartered in London, the Foundation has an operational head office in Nairobi, Kenya with country offices in Ethiopia (Addis Ababa and Assosa) and Somaliland (Hargeisa) and Rwanda (Kigali).
Pharo Education currently operates 15 schools in 3 countries: Somaliland, Ethiopia and Rwanda, and has immediate plans to expand into Kenya and Uganda. Over the next 5 years, we plan to increase our number of schools to 50, employing over 5,000 staff and educating over 25,000 students.
We are looking for a candidate who has extremely strong research and financial analysis skills. This includes a solid understanding of accounting and financial analysis, the ability to work effectively as part of a small team, and an interest in the aims of social enterprise. The incumbent will be comfortable with the financial, commercial, operational and strategic aspects of social investments. In addition, the incumbent will be a strong collaborator both internally and externally with various stakeholders.
Reporting to the Director of Education East Africa, the Financial Analyst will take the lead in supporting the Education Division in the identification, financial modelling and analysis, impact analysis, due diligence and execution of Education expansion plans and management. The candidate will therefore need to be socially driven and financially astute. He / She should also be able to understand the ethos of social investing, be effective in integrating impact analysis in a fast paced business environment and modelling out robust business plans and ultimately recommending the very best options to follow in order to provide high quality education to as many children as possible across East Africa.
Investment analysis and financial modelling.
▪ Build financial and project models to analyse investment requirements and investments returns from new business proposals under consideration.
▪ Support the financial analysis and forecasting of growth projections for existing schools. ▪ Identify the strengths and opportunities to improve overall performance of the companies through quantitative and qualitative impact data and financial analysis
▪ Perform extensive analytics on historical performance, and develop forecasts on the short and long term performance of the portfolio schools.
▪ Provide analytical data and input in the development of education expansion plans.
Due diligence support and input into the education business plans.
▪ Contribute to the drafting of education business plans, investment analysis – and submit well researched plans for review.
▪ Develop specific education business plans prior to opening or acquisition of new schools and as required for company growth and expansion.
▪ Be the custodian of data, trends, insights and metrics for the school portfolio across the region. ▪ Carry out due diligence site visits to potential and existing schools and education centres. ▪ Maintain a rolling database of potential education expansion plans for screening and analysis.
Financial and impact forecasting and reporting.
▪ Support all aspects of investment portfolio management, monitoring the social and financial performance of existing investments, reviewing management information and compliance with the organisation’s educational policies
▪ Undertake – performance assessments of existing and prospective schools in the education portfolio. ▪ Support the financial and social impact metrics reporting for the portfolio of schools across East Africa.
▪ Support in-depth and extensive market research and analysis for target countries and sectors of interest to Pharo Education
▪ As needed, provide market research and analysis for existing schools as they roll out growth strategies. ▪ Undertake targeted research and marketing efforts in order to support the development of a pipeline of new education opportunities.
▪ Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Economics, Engineering, Law, Business Management or related fields is mandatory.
▪ Relevant post-graduate Master’s Degree (preferably in Finance or Investment Analysis) or an MBA is strongly preferred.
▪ CPA, A.C.C.A or CFA qualification will be a significant advantage.
▪ At least 4 years’ experience in the private and/or Social Enterprise sector, working in investment analysis, accounting, corporate finance or project finance, with exposure to multiple sectors and countries in the larger East Africa region.
▪ Excellent MS Excel and financial modelling skills are required and advanced use of the Microsoft Office suite.
▪ Experience supporting the development and roll out of business plans is preferred. ▪ Solid ability and experience to conduct research and due diligence is required. ▪ Extensive experience with budget development, financial forecasting and analysis of impact metrics is required.
▪ Preferred candidate will be highly analytical, organised and a pragmatic professional who pays attention to details.
▪ Enthusiasm and commitment to working in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment. ▪ Willingness to travel and visit business sites across the region.
▪ Ability to combine analytical thinking and the capacity to operationalise plans. ▪ Structured, process oriented and a logical thinker.
▪ Excellent time-manager who can balance multiple priorities.
▪ Motivated to learn and perform and not afraid to ask questions.
▪ Willing to challenge status quo and add value by introducing positive change.
▪ Good communicator and comfortable to work in a team environment.
▪ High professional and ethical standards.
How to apply
Review of applications will be on a rolling basis. In the event that we identify an outstanding applicant early in the search process, we reserve the right to appoint before the deadline. For this reason, we encourage interested candidates to apply at the earliest possible time. Due to the high volume of applications expected, we regret that we will only be able to contact short-listed candidates.
Please send the information listed below, as a single PDF file, to the following email address: email@example.com and state in the subject line of the email ‘Financial Analyst Education’.
- A detailed CV and Cover Letter
- A one-page list of five references with current addresses, phone numbers, and email contacts. 3. State on your application where you saw the advert for this position.
Kindly note that if shortlisted for interview, you will be required to provide samples of financial models you have developed in the past.