Final Evaluation Consultancy – A Safe Pair of Hands, Kenya
About us: Practical Action is an international development organisation putting ingenious ideas to work so people in poverty can change their world.
We help people find solutions to some of the world’s toughest problems. Challenges made worse by catastrophic climate change and persistent gender inequality.
We work with communities to develop ingenious, lasting and locally owned solutions for agriculture, water and waste management, climate resilience and clean energy. And we share what works with others, so answers that start small can grow big.
About the project: Practical Action in partnership with Kisumu Urban Apostolate Programme (KUAP) has over the last three years implemented A Safe Pair of Hands project funded by DFID now Foreign Commonwealth Development Office (FCDO), in the informal settlements of Nyalenda A, Nyalenda B and Obunga in Kisumu, City.
The project sought to address malnutrition among children under 5 years through access to clean water, handwashing facilities and improved hygiene practices. By improving access to clean water, hand washing facilities and through promotion of proper handwashing, the project was expected to reduce diarrhoea, improve health and reduce life-long malnutrition for 3,000 young children aged under-5 years and work with 8,250 child carers in informal settlements of Kisumu City, Kenya.
The key tasks for this consultancy that would ensure that the consultant(s) achieve the above will be to:
- Develop a detailed inception report clearly demonstrating the evaluation methodology, timelines and relevant data collection tools
- Field work: The survey will involve field visits to a sample of households, government and private sector stakeholders. This will involve meetings, interviews or focused group discussions with main actors who have been involved in the project
- Conduct a comparative analysis of the findings and present draft report to Practical Action for review
- Presentation of findings to stakeholders for validation – this will be organized by the project team
- Finalize the evaluation report based on input from the 1st draft review
- Develop the End of project final report – the consulting firm will prepare the end of project report using a template provided by Practical Action
This final evaluation is expected to take a total of 30 working days. The consultant will submit the following deliverables:
1. An inception report
2. High quality and concise final report in agreed template (maximum 20 pages with appendices)
3. Popular version (summary) of the evaluation report
4. End of project report using the template provided by Practical Action
5. All datasets from the evaluation
Practical Action and partners are therefore, looking for multi- skilled individual(s) or consultancy firm (s) with the following minimum qualifications and experiences to express interest for the assignment:
1. Minimum masters level education and /or training in Public health, civil/water engineering, urban and regional planning, monitoring and evaluation, international development or any other related field
2. Expert Water Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) professional with experience in quantitative and qualitative research methodology and experiences with Participatory Market Systems Development (PMSD) approaches as well as Personal Hygiene and Sanitation Education (PHASE) methodology.
3. Experienced in implementing nutrition programmes
4. In depth understanding of urban development issues with specific interest in Low Income Areas (LIAs)/informal settlements,
5. Proven technical expertise in gender and social inclusion (including knowledge /experience of gender dimensions/ issues in WASH), climate change, child focussed development, participatory planning and governance in County level planning and budget cycles
6. Familiarity with Low Income Areas (LIAs)/informal settlements in Kisumu
7. At least 10 years’ experience in conducting evaluations for WASH programs implemented by government, non-governmental and private sector actors specifically in low income urban areas
8. Demonstrated experience in using mobile data collection applications such as ODK, KOBO etc.
9. Demonstrated experience in designing survey methodology, data collection tools, processing and analysis of data.
10. Strong organizational, analytical and reporting skills, presentation skills, attention to detail, ability to meet deadlines, and proficiency in Microsoft Office and qualitative data analysis software/tools.
11. Excellent verbal and written communication in English is MANDATORY
12. Compliance with MoH guidelines and protocols on Covid-19.
CLICK HERE for a detailed Terms of Reference of the assignment.
How to Apply
Interested consultants should send the technical and financial proposals to Practical Action Eastern Africa Regional Office by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 23rd May 2021. Indicate “Final Evaluation for Safe Pair of Hands project in Kisumu City, Kisumu County, Kenya” on the email subject line.
At Practical Action, we treat all applications for employment on their merits and do not take into consideration any factors that are not relevant to the job such as disability, race, age, religion, gender, gender reassignment or sexual orientation.
We are committed to safeguarding and protecting children and vulnerable adults and as such candidates will be subject to pre-employment checks.
The successful applicant must have the pre-existing right to both live and work in Kenya.