Job Advert: Procurement & Logistics Specialist (Subcontracts Specialist)
The Power Africa Off-Grid Project (PAOP) is a four-year USAID-funded project to promote off-grid electrification in 12 countries in sub-Saharan Africa.
The project is headquartered in Pretoria, South Africa. PAOP provides technical assistance to key sector stakeholders, including private sector off-grid companies, investors, and government agencies.
Job Summary: The Power Africa Off-grid (PAOP) Project Subcontracts Specialist will work together with US based subcontracts team and the PAOP Technical Advisors to provide technical assistance to support the project’s subcontract and procurement needs.
The position will focus on assisting in the negotiation and execution of subcontract agreements to ensure compliance of USAID and RTI regulations and organizational procurement policies.
This is a full-time position based in Pretoria, South Africa OR Nairobi, Kenya.
The position will be offered on a 1-year fixed term local national employment contract (which may be renewable).
The local (in-country) compensation package will be applied per the final candidate selection and location.
Applicants eligible to work in South Africa or Kenya are eligible to apply to this position.
- Collaborate with RTI project teams to understand and execute, upon project approval, subcontract and procurement needs.
- Draft, negotiate, and execute standard and complex subcontract agreements.
- Effectively advise and communicate RTI procurement policies and procedures to project staff.
- Interpret and apply the relevant Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR), Code of Federal Regulations (CFR), and client specific regulations to supplier agreements.
- Verify that all procurements are approved and executed within USAID regulations and RTI procurement policies and procedures.
- Perform supplier monitoring activities.
- Support periodic external and internal audits and assist in development of processes that ensure compliance.
- Assist project team in resolving issues with underperforming or problematic suppliers.
- Collaborate with internal clients on needs assessment, market research, requirements generation, and sourcing strategies for potential solicitations for subcontracts (including procurements).
- Manage interaction between prime contract proposal schedules and schedules for potential subcontract solicitations, eliminating conflicts if possible and mitigating conflicts to the maximum extent practicable.
- Work under tight deadlines.
- Advise technical staff on sourcing requirements, and advocate for competition to the maximum extent practicable.
- Lead in negotiating price, schedule, and contractual terms consistent with internal client expectations and in accordance with FAR and internal procurement policies and procedures.
- Use industry techniques and practices to establish fair and reasonable pricing positions and negotiation ranges.
- Establish subcontract pricing structure (e.g., firm fixed price, time, and materials, cost plus) appropriate to the risk allocated to potential subcontractors in solicitations.
- Evaluate proposals from potential subcontractors for content and price reasonableness, including but not limited to conducting cost and/or price analysis.
- Conduct fact-finding as needed to review basis of estimates and source documentation verifying proposal cost estimates.
- Review technical analysis to assist in the evaluation of price/cost reasonableness in support of price negotiations with potential subcontractors.
- Analyze requirements for subcontracting, and rationalize sourcing activities with consolidation of sources of supply and utilization of strategic sources of supply to the maximum extent practicable.
Minimum Required Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree and a minimum of 5 years’ relevant experience.
- Demonstrated solid understanding of U.S. governmental regulations to ensure compliance with relevant procurements.
- Experience in supporting USAID funded projects, and/or other similar international work is highly preferred.
- Working knowledge of sourcing and management of subcontracts preferred.
- Ability to interpret, draft and negotiate complex procurement agreements.
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills in English, including the ability to communicate effectively in a multi-cultural environment and diplomatically manage collegial relationships.
- Extensive knowledge of procurement/contracts principles and terminology as well as basics of contracts administration and finance or accounting.
- Knowledge of finance and accounting, with experience in budget negotiation.
- Ability to perform duties that require close attention to detail, to prioritize workload and follow tasks through to completion.
- Ability to understand prime contract contents to ensure lower tier procurements are compliant.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, supervisors, project staff, suppliers, and clients.
Candidates should be in possession of the valid permit to live and work in the country of assignment.
Physical / Mental Demands:
Physical and mental demands of this role include those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job, as outlined below.
- remaining in a stationary position for long periods of time;
- operating a computer and other office machinery;
- thinking, learning, and concentrating effectively and frequently communicating with other people, both within RTI and outside of RTI;
- ability to handle the stress associated in meeting frequent, multiple and tight deadlines,
- ability to work in excess of 40 hours per week as workload and deadlines may require, consistent demonstration of mental stability and ability to have regular, reliable and predictable attendance.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job, per RTI procedure 4.2.1.
The selected candidate will work from home until conditions are safe to resume working from the office.
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification.
It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Interested applicants should CLICK HERE to submit their application in English – detailed CV including names and contact details (telephone numbers and email addresses) of at least three (3) contactable referees (supervisors).
Important Notice: This position is open only to applicants eligible to work in South Africa or Kenya.
RTI International reserves the right not to fill this vacancy or to close the advert prior to the stipulated closing date.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
If you do not hear from us within 12 weeks from the closing date, please consider your application as unsuccessful.