The idea of establishing the Great Lakes University of Kisumu originated in the Tropical Institute of Community Health and Development (TICH) in Africa, which spearheaded the application for authority to operate as a university. The establishment of TICH was inspired by a number of sources expressing the need for a formal course in Community Based Health Care leading to a recognized academic qualification. Such a course would be offered by an academic institution that could effectively weave together theoretical, evidence based and practical hands-on analytical skills training into development, conducted in learning sites located in the community, civil society, industry and public institutions. It was thought that an Institute with the freedom to innovate but linked to an established University would be the best base for such a training program.
- Studying the organization’s objectives, promotional policies, and needs to build public relations strategies that influence public opinion and promote products, ideas, and services.
- Responding to requests for information release or press conference from the media or designating a spokesperson or source of information.
- Establishing and maintaining relationships with consumer, community, employee, and public interest groups.
- Writing press releases and other media communications to promote clients.
- Planning or directing the development of programs to maintain favorable public and stockholder views of the organization’s agenda and accomplishments.
Qualification & Competencies Required
- Bachelor’s degree in Public Relations, Communications, Linguistics or any other related field from a recognized university.
- Master’s degree will be added advantage.
- 5 years of experience in a similar position.
- Proven experience as a Public Relations Officer or similar PR role
- Experience managing media relations (online, broadcast and print)
- Background in researching, writing and editing publications.
- Good Networking skills.
- Written and oral communication skills
- Emotional intelligence.
- Creativity and Storytelling traits.
- Knowledge of current affairs.
- Result oriented and Self-disciplined.
- Tech-savvy and Constructive thinker
Applicants to send Cover letter, CV and testimonials indicating the position applied for to:
The Chairman of Governing Council
Great Lakes University of Kisumu
P.O Box 2224-40100
OR Send via mail to
Email subject line MUST read the position applied for. OR Hand drop to
Great Lakes University of Kisumu,
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Closing Date : 17th May, 2021