The International AIDS Vaccine Initiative is a global not-for-profit, public-private partnership working to accelerate the development of vaccines to prevent HIV infection and AIDS.
About the position
CGIAR through the Alliance is seeking two (2) environmental Safeguards Experts, one with a focus on environmental safeguard issues and other focused on social safeguard issues. This is for a major program in Africa – AICCRA (Accelerating Impacts of CGIAR Climate Research for Africa) – from 2021 to 2023. These specialists will be located in East Africa (either Nairobi or Addis Ababa) and West Africa (likely Senegal), but will be responsible for project activities throughout six countries in Africa (Zambia, Kenya, Ethiopia, Senegal, Mali, Ghana). They would work closely with project teams in these countries.
- Supervise the implementation of measures and actions set out in the Environmental and Social Commitment Plan (ESCP)
- Provide technical support on safeguard issues to the Grant recipients.
- Be responsible for socializing and implementing the Environment and Social Risk Management (ESRM) Guide.
- Prepare an annual work plan related to ESCP issues, including identifying particular case studies that will be conducted on key potentially problematic ESCP components.
- Once sites and activities have been finalized, prepare Environmental and Social Management Plans (ESMP) and Pest Management Plans for each agricultural research institution receiving financing under the Project.
- Prepare an annual summary of stakeholder engagement activities, including an analysis of the quality of such activities.
- Prepare an annual summary of any grievances that emerged through the grievance mechanism, including reporting these to the independent steering committee.
- Monitor and report to The International Development Association on ESCP implementation, via the Alliance, as required by the ESCP and the conditions of the legal agreement.
- Liaise with all AICCRA project participants on Safeguards matters.
Qualifications and requirements:
- Advanced Degree in an appropriate field (e.g. Economics, Development, Agriculture, Business Administration) required
- Minimum 2 years working experience at international organizations
- Knowledge in Environmental Policy, Social Safeguards, Evaluation
- Knowledge in Environmental and Social Standards (ESSs)
- General expertise: Project evaluation, environmental, health and safety and social safeguards compliance and natural resource policy, planning and management; analysis and performance standards for investment projects. Practitioner experience in project review, monitoring and evaluation, design of environmental screening and management systems, stakeholder analysis, socio-economic surveys
- Ability to work both independently and in a team-oriented, collaborative and decentralized environment, and operate under tight deadlines
- Solid knowledge of Microsoft Office, with advanced Power Point/presentation skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English. Written and oral communication in French an added advantage.
Applicants are invited to send a cover letter illustrating their suitability for the above position against the qualifications, competencies, skills together with a detailed curriculum vitae, including names and addresses of three referees knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience. All correspondence should be addressed to the Human Resources Office, at
and should clearly indicate “Application: Safeguards Experts”.
Closing Date : 1st July, 2021