Job Vacancy: Financial Controller
Job Location: Nairobi, Kenya
About Sanergy: Sanergy is an award-winning social venture based in Nairobi, Kenya.
We undertake three exciting lines of work:
- We provide safe, sustainable sanitation services to residents living in urban informal settlements of Nairobi and
Kisumu using end-to-end non-sewered sanitation solutions.
- We implement a circular economy model to sustainably manage sanitation and organic waste generated in
cities. Using technologies developed in-house, we upcycle the waste into insect-based protein for animal feed,
organic fertilizer, and biomass fuel. We operate the largest organics recycling plant in East Africa.
- We partner with cities to develop and deliver safe sanitation and waste management for urban residents. Using a systematic methodology, we match cities’ sanitation and waste management needs with technology and service delivery models, and then offer clear guidance on the steps that governments, funders, service providers, and technology developers can take to develop and implement integrated service delivery systems.
Operational since 2011, Sanergy serves over 140,000 urban residents with safe sanitation services every day.
Sanergy collects and treats over 12,000T of waste per year, and successfully sells its agricultural end-products to
farmers in over 20 counties in Kenya, who see improved yields and increased incomes.
At the same time, we have built a team of over 400 employees from diverse backgrounds who solve diverse problems, but all embody the drive, creativity, teamwork, and passion that make us achieve our goals.
For our work, we have been recognized by the Gates Foundation as one of the 2030 Sustainable Development Goals accelerators; by Fast Company as one of the 10 most innovative companies in the world doing social good and one of the 10 best companies in Africa, and the Food Planet Prize for our innovative circular economy approach.
About the role: Sanergy is seeking to hire a Financial Controller to lead the accounting department and ensure timely preparation of financial reports, formulating & Implementing internal controls, and prescribed finance processes.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure that all end-month processes are carried out, periods are properly closed, and provide accurate and
timely financial reports and forecasts
- Preparation of monthly management accounts
- Oversee classification of all expenses to various cost centers in line with the approved budget
- Ensure accurate record-keeping of expense policy by defining allowable business costs and ensure allocation as
per the policy
- Coordinate and oversee the internal and external audit of the accounting records(Including Grant audits where
applicable) and financial statements and implement all recommendations on a timely basis
- Prepare timely audit reports for executive management, the Audit Committee, and the Board of Directors
- Foreign exchange risk management and development of foreign exchange risk mitigation strategies
- Monitoring and managing the organization’s bank relationships and liquidity management
- Filing tax returns for the parent company
- Keep track of tax changes and recommend tax strategies that align with business goals
- Ensure compliance with International Financial Reporting Standards, statutory requirements, legal requirements,
and Company policies and procedures and taxation, and other regulatory requirements
- Ensure internal control in finance is in place and fully complied with as per company policies and procedures
intended to safeguard financial resources and assets from risk
- Business Degree preferably in Finance or Accounting, Masters degree an added advantage
- A CPA 3 or its equivalent
- Minimum 6 years experience in accounting with at least 2 years in a similar role
- Advanced excel knowledge is a MUST
- Knowledge of IFRS & GAAP is an added advantage
- Have excellent quantitative and analytical skills
- Be an excellent team player/collaborator with excellent communication skills
- Have demonstrated the ability to act decisively and resolve problems
How to Apply
CLICK HERE to apply online.
Sanergy is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for
employment without regard to race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital
status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression.
All qualified persons are encouraged to apply.
NOTE TO APPLICANTS: SANERGY AND FRESH LIFE DO NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). SANERGY AND FRESH LIFE DO NOT ASK FOR INFORMATION PERTAINING TO YOUR BANK ACCOUNT DETAILS AND ANY OTHER PERSONAL INFORMATION OUTSIDE THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS.