Sanergy is an award-winning social venture that builds healthy, prosperous communities by making hygienic sanitation accessible and affordable in Africa’s urban informal settlements.
Our systems-based approach to solving the sanitation crisis involves five key steps: we build a dense network of low-cost, high-quality waterless sanitation facilities – called Fresh Life Toilets.
We franchise the toilets to community residents, who run them as commercial toilets; landlords, who offer them as a value-added service to their tenants; and schools, to ensure children always have access to a safe sanitation option. We provide critical support services – such as access to finance, business analytics, training and aspirational marketing and branding.
We collect the waste regularly and safely remove it from the community for treatment.
We convert the waste into valuable end products, such as organic fertilizer and insect-based animal protein, which we sell to Kenyan farms.
We launched our first toilet in November 2011, and we now have a network of over 2700 active Fresh Life Toilets serving over 100,000 urban residents every single day.
We collect and convert over 6,000 tons of waste every year. At the same time, we have built a team of 250 dedicated team with diverse backgrounds.
Our work has been recognized by Fast Company as one of the 10 Most Innovative Companies in the World Doing Social Good and one of the 10 Best Companies in Africa.
We are currently seeking an experienced Lead Mechanical Engineer who will work on Sanergy’s existing breeding facility to implement key retrofits and design changes to the current operating facility.
The position is based in Kilifi with considerable movement to Kinanie, Machakos constituency.
A typical day for you might include the following:
- Lead a team of engineers to design, select and procure mechanical equipment packages to be used in organic waste bioconversion facilities
- Analyse existing operations and propose new retrofits to increase efficiency and reduce the overall operational costs
- Perform design calculations for various engineering problems
- Review vendor drawings and provide technical feedback to ensure specifications are met
- Review controls and/or electrical plans for various equipment
- Review/Develop mechanical engineering deliverables (Specification sheets, GA drawings)
- Provide engineering input to civil and architectural drawings
- Shortlist potential vendors and request designs for quotation
- Lead meetings with vendors and engineering consultants
- Along with the vendor, perform factory acceptance testing, test and balance activities, and functional performance tests
- Responsible for the technical quality and accuracy of work developed by the mechanical engineering team
- Prepare operating guidelines commissioning test forms, equipment checklists and commissioning reports and maintain commissioning issues lists
- Develop clear and transparent communication channels with other staff including Engineers, Project Manager, and Administration Staff.
- Lead and manage the installation and commissioning of various industrial equipment
- Troubleshoot system operational issues that impact system operation, safety, and reliability
- Provide hands-on field expert level support for construction
- Perform field inspections to ensure construction meets the design specifications
Skills and qualifications you’ll need:
- Bachelor Degree in Mechanical Engineering or relevant field
- 5+ years of experience in engineering and design of processing units, equipment, waste treatment facility
- Demonstrated working knowledge of how multi-disciplinary engineering team functions
- Demonstrated working knowledge or interest in the operation of Boilers, Chillers, water treatment, Pumps, waste treatment and Control Systems is preferred.
- Experience in operating factories in the waste sector is preferred
- Experience in commissioning various mechanical and electrical systems
- Effective interpersonal skills to properly represent Sanergy in an ethical and professional manner.
- Ability to explain technical information to technical and non-technical people.
- Demonstrated ability to manage a team, set priorities, handle budgets and provide constructive feedback to junior members
Qualities you’ll need to fit in well among the Sanergy-Stars:
- A collaborative spirit that compels you to work beyond your team
- A desire to understand and serve customers
- A willingness to embrace diversity, integrity and empathy
- An innovative approach to assessing and testing new ideas
- An enthusiasm to achieve set targets and improve yourself professionally
The perks you’ll have:
- A holistic benefits package
- Unparalleled opportunities for personal and professional growth
- A unique chance to tackle critical challenges of sanitation, economic empowerment and food security
How to Apply:
Please upload a detailed CV with contact details of three referees by 6th June, 2021.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
CLICK HERE to apply online.