Kenya Medical Research Institute (KEMRI) is a State Corporation established through the Science and Technology (Amendment) Act of 1979, which has since been amended to Science, Technology and Innovation Act 2013. The 1979 Act established KEMRI as a National body responsible for carrying out health research in Kenya.
Vacancy No: CGHR/223/11/21
The Kenya Medical Research Institute (KEMRI), Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine (LSTM) and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) will be conducting a large community-based study
of Attractive Targeted Sugar Bait (ATSB) aimed at reducing malaria burden in Western Kenya. The 3- year project is part of a larger international ATSB consortium involving three countries in Africa
(Kenya, Mali, and Zambia), and international partners in the UK and USA. As part of this effort, KEMRI is searching for an exceptional Data Manager with at least four years of relevant work
experience to effectively manage all ATSB Trial data management activities, including the programming and validation of databases, ongoing data cleaning, and provision of high-quality data for interim and final analyses to meet trial targets.
Duration: One (1) year with a possibility of extension
Reporting to: Principal Investigator
The successful candidate will work with the Trial Manager and the Principal Investigatorsin organizing and overseeing data collection. The holder of this position will be based at the KEMRI-CGHR field station in Kisian with occasional visits to the study field sites.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and maintain throughout life cycle of study projects, the Standard Operating Procedures (SOP), Data Management Plans (DMP), Data Quality Plans, and other plans as delegated/required, and ensure that these are followed according to study design/protocol and requirements;).
- Participate in study setup initiation, implementation, closure, and archiving procedures: i.e., CRF design, database design, database edit check’s, design/review, Data Management Plan review/approval and annotated CRF design.
- Ensure Clinical database, external data files and analysis datasets are designed in a standard, accurate, complete, and consistent format conducive to analysis and possible regulatory submission.
- Develop, review, and approve all SOPs, and job aids related to Data Management in collaboration with Quality Assurance and other departments as applicable.
- Coordination of all data collection, cleaning and validation including, working with the trial monitors (where applicable) and resolving any data queries with sites.
- Maintain and update study tablets and other equipment used for data collection, ensuring data is downloaded daily/promptly and that forms are updated as needed.
- Draft interim reports to the Principal Investigator, Sponsor, regulatory authorities, and oversight committees as requested by the Project Manager.
- Training users to use electronic data capture (EDC) systems. This includes creation of training documentation and running training sessions for end users.
- Review and validate data for completeness and perform logical checks to ensure timely query resolutions. Generate QC reports for review, clarification and correction as well as a variety of other reports as required.
- Participate in planning meetings and scheduled conference calls with the study team and study partners.
- Provide application support, troubleshooting, support training needs, for study staff.
- Assist in the review/analysis of interim and final data for data consistency and accuracy.
- Ensure the conduct of the study is following the currently approved protocol/amendment(s), with current GCP guidelines and with applicable regulatory requirements.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Computer Programming or any related field.
- Masters Degree in Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Computer Programming or any related field.
- Demonstrated experience in data management and analyst in a busy research setting, preferably in the health research environment
- Proficient programming experience using programming software such as SAS/STATA/Python/R and domain specific languages like SQL
- Demonstrated ability to manage large disparate data sets and experience with quantitative analysis
- Familiarity with modern database systems and information technologies including cloud server management
- Familiarity with EDCs such as REDCap, and ODK-based platforms such as ODK Survey, CommCare, SurvetCTO, etc.
- An analytical mindset with excellent communication and problem-solving skills
- Ability to translate complex problems clearly and in nontechnical terms
- Communicate, expressing ideas clearly and concisely, in both written and oral formats
- Ability and willingness to learn additional skills on the job
Skills & Abilities:
- Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail and focus on quality.
- Ability to prioritize work, exercise initiative and work with minimal direction.
- Ability to manage multiple datasets of medium complexity or size concurrently
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively with colleagues, including research scientists
Terms of Employment:
One (1) year renewable contract as per KEMRI scheme of service and Probation period is the first 3 months.
Remuneration: Compensation is negotiable within a relevant grade, based on education levels, relevant experience and demonstrated competency. The salary scheme is based on the KEMRI scales.