SHOFCO is a Kenyan registered Charity Organization with its Headquarters in Gatwekera-Kibera and other offices in New York, Mathare Slum, Mukuru Slum and Bangladesh with a plan to move to other slums in Kenya with a VISION of “Building Urban Promise from Urban Poverty”.
It is a grassroots movement that catalyzes large-scale transformation in urban slums by providing critical services for all, community advocacy platforms, and education and leadership development for women and girls.
SHOFCO is an equal opportunity employer and employment is subject to Child Protection standards including appropriate background checks and adherence to our Child Protection Policy.
Job Title: Civic Engagement Lead
Department: CEO Office
Location / Work station: Kibera
Working Hours: 8am to 5pm
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
About Job: The Civic Engagement Lead will be charged with the task of training and supporting the Urban Slum communities through the community leaders under SHOFCO SUN platform to articulate their needs/issues, to hold engagement forums where the community leaders can engage stakeholders such as government, potential politicians seeking office, and other relevant partners seeking to work in the urban slums with the aim of:
- Empowering community leaders to hold potential partners accountable to delivering services such as education, water, health and influence policies that impact Urban Slums.
- Provide training (TOT) to SUN leaders on how to engage and articulate developmental issues in an impactful and well documented manner.
- Identify forums for Urban Slum leaders to articulate issues/needs that are community driven and best practice. These may include but not limited to Town Hall meetings.
- To develop tools of monitoring and tracking deliverables once an agreement has been agreed on a specific support by either government, politicians or other development partners.
- Build capacity across the Urban slum communities for better understanding of civic rights and responsibilities by providing TOTS through existing SUN structures.
We are seeking an enthusiastic individual with policy, advocacy, and/or campaigns expertise, who thrives in a multi-faceted role. In this role, you are part strategist, communications specialist, and influencer. You will work closely with SHOFCO’s executive leadership on our SUN Platform
You will be expected to drive relationships, be self-starting, and take on significant responsibility of training community and youth leaders.
Key Responsibilities and Job Dimensions
Responsibilities: working closely with SUN leaders
- Positioning/Strategy. Positioning Urban slums issues/needs by providing platforms for articulating Urban Slums issues/needs to potential service providers or potential political aspirants.
- Build strategic partnerships and secure long-term relationships for SUN.
- Sharpening policy and advocacy recommendations. Improving community and youth leader’s advocacy capacity to demand for services and best practice
- Organise and Lead engagement forums with key partners to articulate issues that affect Urban slum communities
- To undertake TOTs for the Community and youth leaders using SUN existing structures.
- Empower Sun leaders on Civic rights and responsibilities so that they can in turn build the capacity down the ranks.
- Build the Sun Brand across the country by providing the visibility through relevant communication that positions and provides visibility for SUN.
Job Competencies (Knowledge, Experience and Attributes / Skills).
- Bachelor’s Degree in any relevant field such as Bachelor of Arts, Anthropology
- 5 years experience in development work and mobilising of urban slum communities
- Strong communication skills across multiple levels and articulating issues with simplicity and clarity
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Experience in advocacy and policy development is key for the role
- Previous engagement with Government is desirable
- Marketng skills is an added advanatge
Other required qualifications (unique/job specific)
- Previous work with Development partners such as Government and advocacy groups.
- Making decisions
- Communication- Strong communication skills, oral, written and ability to pitch at all levels
- Exploring possibilities
- Pursuing goals
- Advocacy skills
Behavioral Competencies / Attributes:
- Team work
- Understanding people
- Empowering individuals
How to Apply
Interested candidates to share their details and cover letter To;
Shortlisting will be carried out on a rolling basis.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.