UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, is a global organisation dedicated to saving lives, protecting rights and building a better future for refugees, forcibly displaced communities and stateless people. We work to ensure that everybody has the right to seek asylum and find safe refuge, having fled violence, persecution, war or disaster at home. Since 1950, we have faced multiple crises on multiple continents, and provided vital assistance to refugees, asylum-seekers, internally displaced and stateless people, many of whom have nobody left to turn to. We help to save lives and build better futures for millions forced from home.
The EMS and Policy Specialist will support the Greening & Sustainability Team of the Global Mobility and Infrastructure Service (GMIS) within the Division of Financial and Administrative Management (DFAM). DFAM contributes to safeguarding the financial resources entrusted to UNHCR by maintaining and improving the financial and administrative systems, policies and procedures and promoting cost-effective and transparent use of these resources. GMIS is a new service within DFAM which merges four functions: global fleet management, global travel, global facilities management and global asset management. Greening & Sustainability is one of GMIS main cross-functional areas.
The EMS and Policy Specialist will focus mainly on supporting the Greening & Sustainability Team in implementing Environmental Management systems in UNHCR and its operations as well as on environmental policy and guidelines development.
Duties and responsibilities
- Create a UNHCR-wide approach to introduce Environmental Management Systems (EMS) as part of UNHCR¿s management system;
- Develop an EMS for HQ Geneva and initiate an organization-wide process alongside with creating guidelines for operations to develop EMS themselves;
- Develop, coordinate and launch a UNHCR-wide environmental policy to guide UNHCR offices on internal UNHCR carbon emission sources such as travel, facilities and fleet management, waste and water management, and building management;
- Develop, coordinate and launch policy and guidelines for a UNHCR levy/green tax on e.g. commercial air travel, and vehicles;
- Conduct research and analysis on existing policies e.g. from other UN-agencies in this area and conclude on most suitable approach for UNHCR;
- Support the Greening and Sustainability Team with the development of technical guidelines and best practices in the implementation of clean energy interventions;
- Coordinate consultations with all relevant experts including UNHCR colleagues at HQ (travel, facilities, global fleet), in Regional Bureaux and Country Offices as well as colleagues from other UN agencies and external experts;
- Prepare supporting material, communication content and analytical reports and liaise with GMIS Communications Associate and the Special Coordinator for Internal Communications in publishing and promoting developed policies and guidelines internally on the UNHCR Intranet and other platforms;
- Ensure compliance of UNHCR policy guidelines and Greening and Sustainability strategy as well as with UN-wide methodologies and Greening the Blue targets;
- Perform other duties as required.
Essential minimum qualifications and professional experience required
- Academic qualifications: Advance university degree in engineering, sustainable development studies, economics, business administration, environmental management, or relevant fields.
- Experience: A minimum of six years relevant professional experience involving technical and analytical responsibilities; knowledge of policy writing, experience in environmental context desirable; proven data collection, analysis and communication skills; proven record in producing simple, clear, and high-quality strategic documents; familiarity with and professional experience directly related to Environment Management System (EMS) documentation and implementation, ISO 14001 certification an asset; experience working in humanitarian or global development settings, and/or for the UN or other humanitarian/development agencies preferred.
- Language: Fluency in English required. Knowledge of another UN language is an asset.
The successful candidate will be based in Nairobi, Kenya or home based.
The Temporary Appointment is for six months and the expected start date is 01 August 2021. It is a full-time role with working hours starting from 9.00am to 6.00pm Monday to Friday (40 hours per week).
Supervisor of the EMS and Policy Specialist,: Snr Project Officer Greening & Sustainability Team, GMIS, DFAM
The UNHCR workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. UNHCR seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce. Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.
Please note that UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, travelling, processing, training or any other fees). Please note that the closing date for this TA advertisement is Saturday 19 June 2021 (midnight Geneva time).
We do our best to provide you the most accurate info, but closing dates may be wrong on our site. Please check on the recruiting organization’s page for the exact info. Candidates are responsible for complying with deadlines and are encouraged to submit applications well ahead.