Our mission is to provide youths, in Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA) and beyond, with evidence-based tools to improve their life outcomes. We believe in a world where youth, anywhere, can actualize their life outcomes. Founded at Harvard and launched in Kenya in 2018, we combine rigorous social science research with deep contextual knowledge of the education and mental healthcare space in SSA and beyond. Since 2018, we’ve deployed 400 interventions to more than 1600 youths in 10 schools in Kenya. Rigorous gold-standard field experiments show our model works: our intervention reduces depression and anxiety and improves peer relationships and academic performance. In a region where half the population is 19 or younger, our potential for impact is immense. In 2021, we are delivering our in-person group-based intervention, Project Thrive!, to 5,000 students across 25 schools, and delivering our digital intervention, Thrive! Online, to 100,000 Kenyan youths.
Shamiri Institute is seeking an energetic, diligent, self-motivated, and articulate team player to join its staff as a Thrive! Supervisor based in our Nairobi HQ on a full-time basis. Thrive! Supervisors will be part of our youth-led youth-led youth-oriented mental health care program and delivery system that integrates two essential elements: 1) a rigorously tested evidence-based mental health intervention (the Shamiri, or “Thrive!” in Kiswahili, intervention) that includes simple, empirically supported psychological elements, uses stigma-free, culturally appropriate content, and 2) dissemination in secondary schools by youths trained as lay-providers and integration into a three-tier mental health care model that brings together youth lay-providers and expert clinicians and psychiatrists. Thrive! Supervisors will supervise our Thrive! Fellows. Thrive! Supervisors will report to the Senior Programme Associate.
Roles and Responsibilities:
Roles and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Supervising Thrive! Fellows throughout their tenure (training through program wrap up)
- Completing a supervisor training program and attending and assisting with Thrive! Fellow training.
- Undertaking necessary continuous professional development as provided by Shamiri.
- Attending all program sessions to which you are assigned and always arriving on time.
- Assisting with logistical aspects of program delivery, particularly in preparation for and during program delivery at schools.
- Acting as a line of communication between Thrive! Fellows and Shamiri staff.
- Acting, with supervision, to help ensure participant and Thrive! Fellows’ health, confidentiality, and safety.
- Attending meetings with fellow Shamiri supervisors and relaying information promptly outside of meetings as and when necessary.
- Develop and submit weekly reports highlighting the following: special cases reported, challenges reported during the week, positive highlights of the week , etc.
- Work with Senior Programs Associate to resolve basic level issues and disputes among fellows.
- Help with orientation, onboarding , and training of the Thrive! Fellows as and when needed.
Successful applicants will:
- Have a bachelor’s degree in psychology, counseling, or clinical psychology. Some past practice experience in counseling, wellness, psychology, or mental health work (e.g., having worked as a Thrive! Fellow or a group leader) would be an added advantage.
- Demonstrate the ability to recognize and reflect on one’s own values, attitudes, beliefs, biases, emotions, and past experiences. Use mistakes as opportunities for growth.
- Demonstrate interest in helping others and ensuring their confidentiality, fair treatment, safety, and wellbeing.
- Demonstrate commitment to the broad scope of values, ethics, and goals at the height of the Shamiri mission.
- Possess strong organizational and problem-solving skills; show that you are highly responsible.
- Possess strong time management skills and a strong sense of punctuality.
- Possess strong communication skills both with supervisors and supervisors.
- Possess a strong desire to learn.
- Possess some basic writing skills.
- Successful candidates will be engaged on a 1-year contract (that is renewable). All Supervisors will be paid KES 40,000 per month plus a transport allowance.
- Interested candidates should apply through the Shamiri Institute Careers portal. If you have any questions please email Veronica Ngatia ([email protected], cc: [email protected]).
Submit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 24 September. 2021