Technical Assistance to Somalia Crisis Recovery Project (TA-SCRP)
In October and November 2019, moderate to heavy rains caused substantial flooding in low-lying areas along the Shabelle and Juba rivers, resulting in several deaths and significant damage to infrastructure, crops, property, and livestock. Subsequently, the World Bank and the Federal Government of Somalia (FGS) conducted a joint exercise to assess the losses and damage caused by the floods and to develop a strategy for immediate recovery and longer-term resilience building. As a result, the Somalia Crisis Recovery Project (SCRP) was formulated, a project financed by the World Bank and implemented by the Project Implementation Unit (PIU) of the Federal Ministry of Finance (MoF).The project aimed at supporting the recovery of livelihoods and infrastructure in flood and drought affected areas and strengthen the capacity for disaster preparedness nationwide. UNOPS is engaged in providing technical assistance for the project implementation by the Federal Ministry of Finance (MoF).
Purpose and Scope of Assignment
Reporting to the Lead Civil Engineer (Road Design Engineer), the Civil Engineer will be responsible for undertaking investigations and designs related to rehabilitation and reconstruction of flood affected public and community infrastructure at selected locations of Somalia. The specific infrastructure covered under the project includes roads, government buildings, water infrastructure, drainage systems, and various public assets. Under the supervision of the Lead Civil Engineer, s/he will perform the following duties and responsibilities to support the UNOPS project team in providing technical support to the PIU for the implementation of project activities.
- Undertake investigations and feasibility assessments of the various infrastructure rehabilitation and re-construction requests initiated by the project and develop concept notes on recommended solutions to secure the client approval;
- Subject to client approval, proceed with the preparation of detailed designs and documentation of the selected public and community infrastructure as per the defined service standards and adopted design specifications;
- Develop specifications for the engagement of external service providers such as surveying, material testing, etc and review the data and reports received from them for validation before using in the design process;
- Undertake detailed designs of feeder roads and urban roads with drainage and other associated provisions, preparation of design drawings, specifications, and bill of quantities to be included in the tender documents;
- Assist the design team members in terms of sharing information and independent review of the tasks delivered by others;
- Unit rates analysis and the preparation of costs estimates for the proposed works;
- Technical support to the client during tendering for the procurement of works contractors and for the contracts management.
Impact of results
The effective and successful performance of the Civil Engineer in the delivery of civil engineering activities will contribute to the success of the project and will promote the image and credibility of the UNOPS as an effective service provider to the Federal Government of Somalia.
Qualifications and Experience
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering or related fields is required.
- A Master’s Degree in Civil Engineering or related fields is desirable, but not required.
2. Work Experience
- Minimum of two (2) years experience in civil engineering with substantial involvement in public and community infrastructure design is required.
- Infrastructure design experience specific to roads and buildings is desirable.
- Familiarity with design standards and manuals used in East Africa is an asset.
- Proficiency in engineering design software, (specifically AutoCAD, Autodesk Civil 3D) and production of drawings is an asset.
- Experience/knowledge of Google Suite products, especially google forms, sheets, docs, and slides is an asset.
- Membership with a recognized institution as a registered Professional Engineer is an asset
3. Language Requirements:
- Fluency in written and spoken English Language is required.
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Work-Life Harmonization – UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types.
- Nairobi is a Family Duty Station.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans, and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.